 Local / United States / Illinois / Chicago / 127
Re: ChiLUG?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.il.chi
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 03:12:45 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.il.chi, Felix Greco wrote:
The discussion of a Chicago based LUG has never really come up.  I think one of
the reasons has been because NILTC took the role of a Chicago Lug and also
because MichLUG does a lot with our area too.

So, what would everyone (or anyone) think of a Chicago LUG?

Obviously, a lot of the people who are in NILTC would be in the same group.
But, I would rather be in a group without an emphasis on any one theme.  I
recently contacted Beth Weis (of "While you were out" fame) and she was of a
similar opinion.

I think some of the advantages would be:

1) We could attract a wider range of interests
2) We could have affiliates to certain clubs (e.g. SciBrick)
3) This could be a laid back organization that sometimes just meets for soda and
cashews instead of a strong emphasis on showing.
4) We'd establish another line of communication with the company/stores.

I'm up for it, but I'm down in Bloomington.  What do you guys think?  Is this
worth pursuing?  Where would we meet?  How could we attract interest?

Felix Greco
http://www.lugnet.com/~94

I like the sound of that idea. As a mecha builder (as far as i know one of the
only ones in the midwest that uses lugnet) I really like the idea of a non
theme-based users group. I did attend the show at cantigny park, which i enjoyed
VERY much, but it can be hard to talk technic worm joints and new articulation
methods with trainheads ;)

If chiLUG is put together, you can count me in. I am located within an hours
drive of chicago.

Thanks for bringing up the topic Felix, and i hope that more people like the
idea of a chicago lego users group as well!