 Local / United States / Georgia / 298
297  |  299
Subject:
LEGO Road Show - Atlanta Journal-Constitution article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:57:40 GMT

This was in Saturday’s paper, and thought people would be interested. Unfortunately, I don’t have a scanner, so you don’t get to see Kurt Zimmerle posing with a LEGO sculpture, but the writer did capture the notion that LEGO bricks are for all ages. Sounds like a great turnout. John

LEGO MASTER

Builder uses plastic bricks to connect with children of all ages

By Helena Oliviero

Some artists work in clay. Others with paints and canvas. Atlanta Danny Coughlin, 9, got some tips Friday at Zoo Atlanta from a master in the medium of his choice: Legos.

Carrying a military aircraft with two pilots made from snap-together plastic bricks, Danny set his creation before Kurt Zimmerle, a 30-year-old kid and certified Lego master builder. Danny looked up with the reverence some toddlers accord Santa.

“This is excellent,” said Zimmerle, as he picked up the 2-foot-long aircraft and pulled the pilots out of their compartments. He grabbed two small Legos, one white, one black, and attached them to the end of the aircraft.

“How about this for a tail?”

“Oh, cool,” Danny said.

Danny’s 4-year-old brother, Kyle, also stood in line and tentatively placed a small, red car on the master’s table.

“Does this go fast?” Zimmerle prodded Kyle, who nodded vigorously.

“OK, then,” the master said, “Let’s call this the fastest car in Atlanta until proven otherwise.”

The Lego tour’s Atlanta stop is highlighted by Zimmerle, one of six U.S. Lego masters and one of 40 in the world. His 9-5 job is building with Legos. He’ll be at the zoo at 11 a.m. today and at noon Sunday.

Within three hours Friday, nearly 1,000 people had played with Legos at the exhibit.

The Lego company, headquartered in Denmark, has marketed its toy in the United States for 30 years. Today, 4 out of five households with kids younger than 12 have Legos.

A lifelong attraction

“They like it because they get real results. For a small child, you can put three block together and that is satisfying, and as you get older you can build things that you can put on your shelf,” said Stevanne Auerbach, known as “Dr. Toy.”

Auerbach, director of the Institute for Childhood Resources in San Francisco, said Legos are appealing because they are versatile, colorful and can be formed into anything you can imagine. She also said Legos can be enjoyed from toddler years through adulthood.

“Also, it is very satisfying to build something,” she said. “You can give your child an airplane that is already done, but if you make the airplane yourself, it is much more satisfying. Then, you can put it on a shelf and show it off.”

On Friday, Nicholas Antheaume had coaxed his two small children to spend the day at the zoo. His son was “mildly interested in the monkeys.”

And then, as they strolled around the corner, they couldn’t believe their eyes; several white tents, thousands of Legos and the Lego master.

All three sprinted to a huge tub of the basic Legos. Antheaume was making a tree. His 5-year-old son, Gabriel, was putting together a string of thin Legos for a ship. And his 3-year-old daughter, Annabel, was stacking small Legos on top of each other. “This is so incredible,” said Antheaume. “My son could care less about TV or other toys. He spends hours every day with LEgos. I understand. I loev them, too.”

Antheaume said he kept the Legos from his childhood, and he sometimes sits next to his children and they build boats and aircraft together.

“I remember I used to be really into spacecraft. I traveled to many planets as a child,” he said.

The sphere test

Zimmerele’s Legos passion dates back to his toddler years, when he was limited to two colors and forced by his two older sisters to help build covered wagons as seen on “Little House on the Prairie.”

While the sisters lost interest, Zimmerele became a craftsman. He acheived his status through “hours and hours /of/ playing Legos.”

At Principia College in Elsah, Ill., Zimmerele’s room was dominated by an enormous blue bucket overflowing with Legos. A studio art major, he created city scenes and snowmen.

It was Zimmerele’s model of the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina that got the attention of the company’s U.S. headquarters. After Zimmerle made a sphere out of several hundred square Legos (the true test of a master), he was knighted as a “Lego master builder.”

For many kids, Zimmerele’s office is a wondrous playroom, filled with thousands of Legos in every shape and size and every color of a Lifesaver roll. Zimmerle often has specific tasks, and his crations get sent to stores and museums across the country. He recently formed a Lego fyling saucer with a 10=foot diameter.

“I have never left the /Lego/ brick,” Zimmerle said. “On a typical day, I go to work and get to build with an unlimited supply of Lego elements, which is every kid’s dream and many adults’, too.”