 Local / United States / Connecticut / 187
Re: Any interest in a Train Club?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:51:06 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ct, Mike Walsh writes:

Don Heyse wrote:
Yeah, a small train club out here does sound like a lot of fun, but
that critical mass problem is a tough one to get past, way out
here in the woods of Southern N.E.  I suspect it would take some
sort of spectacular event to coax 10 potential members out of the
woodwork.

You don't need 10 people to do a successful train show.  It helps but it
isn't absolutely necessary.  We here in North Carolina (NCLTC) have done a
most of our shows with 3-5 people contibuting to the layout.  We have some
additional help with set up and tear down but the core group of builders is
actually pretty small.

There is no rule that says you have to have a 20'x30' layout for it to be a
success.  Our next layout is scaling back a bit, it will be 8'x18' but it
will have some new features that we are pretty excited about.

Mike

Mike is absolutely correct.  NELUG holds our train shows with the
participation of typically between 6 and 8 members when we do our "large"
10'x20' layout.  Next month, we plan to do a smaller 7'x10' layout with the
participation of only four members, although we will probably try to borrow
a few key MOCs from non-attending members.  (We will also be displaying our
full 10'x20' layout at a different show the following weekend.)

I once brought in my trains and a couple buildings to work and set up a
rudimentary pre-holiday train display by myself.  Although my layout was
absolutely laughable when compared to any LTC layout I've ever seen, it was
a HUGE hit with everybody who saw it.  It doesn't take a lot of people to
put together a crowd-pleasing LEGO train display, it just takes one person
with the initiative to say "let's do it."

I am certain that there is critical mass out there "in the woods" to put on
a decent train show.  It shouldn't require special incentives to draw people
out; running a successful show is its own reward.

- Chris.