Re: NMRA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 18:46:43 GMT

Although I am almost done with the track plan, I need to get with Tom Stangl
and Zonker on one development we had - any crowd barriers have to be part of
our layout, which means that having 2' roped off cuts our layout to 6'x11',
which is pretty small.  I could actually put just my town layout in with a 15"
border and it would COMPLETELY fill the area.  Although I wouldn't mind doing
that, it would be unfair to Zonker and Tom, who are working on modules of
their own and I don't want to shut them out - especially Zonker, as he has
been working on the roundhouse for a while.  Either way, I am still building
all 10 town modules, but I think I will only get 8 in the layout, along with
Zonker's and Tom's and we will just put up Plexiglas to stop people from
grabbing.

I am having some problems getting dimensions for the town buildings worked
out.  The left-right roads have to be 16 wide with a 6 wide sidewalk on each
side for the geometry to work out perfectly from front to back, but only 4
wide sidewalks for front-back roads to get the left to right geometry to work
out right.  I wouldn't have this problem if I had more options on track and I
think I am just going to have to resign to cut some track.  Lot sizes are
looking like a row of 48s, a row of 32s and a couple of 24s, but I still have
some more details to finish.

I am also having to find out what sets I need to buy and part out to get the
parts I need for the layout.  You would be amazed at how many gray plates I
need just to make the sidewalks for the town!  I think I ran out on my first 2
modules.  I will be parting out tens of thousands of pieces per month from her
on out just to keep up with what I need.

I am pretty booked tonight and tomorrow, but Wednesday, I should be able to
work out how to adjust the streets and tracks to get a good number to work
with for the buildings.  I will just cut a couple pieces of track to suit what
I need.  With that done, everything else should fall into place fairly
easily.  If we run out of buildings to populate the town, I will just grab all
my greenery and put in a park.

Mike

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Mark Benz writes:
Hi,

How many badges do you think you can you get? I know Ross and I would like
badges to go, and could help set-up, operate etc.  Can we pool/share them?
Do you know the layout exhibit hours?

What's the verdict on how many/types non-module builder-built buildings,
etc. so to speak? Do you have track plan yet? Location of our setup in the
hall?

...loads of spare time to address all of this...

[:D

Mark