Subject:
Proposal for a Bay Area user group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 05:46:41 GMT

Zonker and I have been brainstorming ideas for a local LEGO® users group. We
are looking for volunteers who would like to make a commitment to make this
happen, ie webmaster, etc. We are also looking for brainstorming from others
as well. This is what has been discussed so far:
Quarterly Meets
I propose to have quarterly, themed meets based on four interest areas.
These are four interest areas I have selected based on popularity, and when
each would approximately meet.
November - Town / Train - This would be a town / train based meet. Here we
can show off creations, set up mini towns, and put up a train layout. This
would give a place for Christmas trains to be displayed.
February - free for all - This would be like our meet in San Francisco. It
would be a general get together with displays. This is when the swap meet
should be. It also allows members to show off Christmas gifts and brag.
May - Space / Aquazone - This would be a space / aquazone based meet. We can
have set-ups and displays.
August - Technic / Robotics - This would be a Technic / robotics based meet.
It would feature creations, demonstrations, and robots. This gives a chance
to show off your Mindstorms and Cybermaster creations.
Those who are interested in these areas would be responsible for planning
the meet. This would include finding a meeting place, arranging the time and
date, and preparing for any activities and refreshments.
Quarterly Newsletters
I would like to produce a quarterly newsletter recapping each meet, as well
as upcoming events and news. The content will be mostly member submitted.
This can be done two ways, and will effect member's costs.
printed newsletter - The newsletter can be printed, copied and mailed. This
will result in fees for each year.
PDF'd newsletter - The newsletter can be converted to a PDF document and be
placed on the web for downloading. It will create an archive of back issues.
Part of the initial membership fees will go towards a group purchase of
Adobe Acrobat.
Domain Name
We will most likely be registering the domain name baylug.org. Part of
membership fees will go towards registration costs and maintaining the name.
There is the possibility of e-mail forwarding and the hosting of members'
web pages.
Namebadges
I have found a template to create namebadges with the pertinent information
on them. This includes name, interest area, e-mail, location, and phone
number. There also will be extra cards for handing out. There would be a
small fee for laminate and printing.
Charter Membership
It would be nice to see members from out of the area. It would enhance the
group.This can be done three ways:
fixed - All members would pay the same membership fees.
tier - You would only pay for the benefits you want.
combo - you could choose either to pay for all benefits, or just some of
them.
Formal Leadership
I personally don't want to see a formal leadership, but some people prefer a
leadership hierarchy, ie president, treasurer, etc.
Fees
From reading you will notice mention of fees. We expect maybe 10-20 or so
people each paying $10-15 or so.Then there may be smaller fees each year
thereafter.
I encourage all feedback. Let me know what you like, dislike, or want to
add.

I have also posted this on the web:

http://www.geocities.com/baja/dunes/4828/baylug.html

Russell