Re: SFX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:27:44 GMT

Sounds neat.  I still think we need to build some digital motors, or a train
whistle module, with the whistle timing controlled by the voltage on the track.

The other idea that might be simpler is to build a larger brick/module with a
touch sensor attached - put a bump between the rails right before crossings to
set off the touch sensor.  With an RCX powering the track (since it uses PWM),
the whistle could be made to vary pitch depending on the speed of the train - I
would think that the PWM would do a good job of varying the pitch, but if not, a
chip could be used to change the pitch depending on the PW, and the whistle
itself could be powered off of a capacitor.

But don't ask me to design it, I am NOT an EE ;-)

Tom McDonald wrote:

Hi all.

I just had an idea. Would sound effects be good whenever there is a sizeable
Town/Train display to add to the ambience of the layout? I could make an
ambience recording for a Town that would loop on a computer listening to
shoutcast station (thus even making the loop downloadable prior to the event
should web access be nil at the function).

Having recently setup a shoutcast station at http://www.live365.com "ABS
Radio" (search on "ABS" or "Legopalooza" - rock and movie soundtracks, and
still not enough of either). I put in a bunch of songs I like to build to and
thought maybe this would be fun too.

-Tom McD.