Subject:
Bad Trader resolution!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 07:14:11 GMT

Greetings all,

I hope that the second meeting went well and I'm hoping to be able to get a room
for us in the new Albany library sometime in February.  I still have lots of
info to gather but that will have to wait until I return from vacation in the
beginning of January.

Anyway, I'm sure many of you saw my posts on RTL and Lugnet about the problems I
was having with Andrew Gaul.  Well, I FINALLY received a check from him in the
mail today.  It remains to be seen whether it will bounce (I hope not, I really
want this to be over!).  However, I just wanted to give all of you the
information I have regarding this person's lack of responsibility and to urge
everyone to warn your other internet Lego friends to avoid dealing with him.

Forgive me for the length of this e-mail, but I just don't want anyone else to
have to through this kind of crapola!

Below is the e-mail which I sent to Andrew after I found out he was still at his
present address:

Andrew,

Here is the chronological order of e-mails I have which show the beginning of
our problem:

Saturday, June 5,1999 - You said you received my package and I should be getting
yours in the next few days.  I responded to say it was not here yet but I would
let you know when it did.

Wednesday, June 16, 1999 - I e-mailed you to say that your package had not yet
arrived.

Saturday, June 19, 1999 - You said you were away on business and were surprised
to hear that the package had not arrived.  You said you had bought extra
insurance on the package and would look into the problem on Monday.  You said if
you couldn't get it straightened out, you said you would return my set to me.

Friday, June 25, 1999 - I e-mailed you to say it was good you had bought
insurance and to let me know what happens.

Monday, July 5, 1999 - I e-mailed you saying I hadn't heard from you in awhile
and asked how things were going and whether you had any new information.

Wednesday, July 14, 1999 - I e-mailed you again saying I had received no
response to my previous e-mails asking for an update on the situation.  I stated
that you should have had the courtesy to let me know if you were going away on
business so I would not worry about getting no further correspondence from you.

I received no updates or any correspondence of any kind from you after Saturday,
June 19, 1999.  When I finally called at the end of August and got you on the
phone, you said you had been away on vacation and would return my set to me
immediately.  Then you sent me another e-mail:

Thursday, September 2, 1999 - You said I should be receiving the set very
shortly and I should let you know when it arrives.  You apologized for
responding so late as you had been away without access to e-mail.

Sunday, September 26, 1999 - I e-mailed you saying I had not received the set
yet and asked you to please let me know what you could find out.  You did not
respond.

Thursday, October 7, 1999 - I e-mailed you again asking about the set which you
said you sent over three weeks ago.  I said I would take legal action if you did
not respond.  You did not respond.

So, there you have it.  After September 2, 1999, I received no further
communication with you.  The set never arrived and you made no further attempt
to contact me to insure that it had.  I will reiterate that you should have had
the courtesy to let me know that you were going to out of town and would not
reachable by e-mail so I would not worry about getting no response from you.
The fact that you did not do this made me very suspicious.  What am I supposed
to do without any updates from you of any kind?  You might disagree with my
actions on the newsgroups, but from my perspective it was the only option I had
left to get your attention.

Regarding the mail problem, I sent the registered letter to the exact same
address as the set which you said you received.  When the letter was returned
with the box checked indicating that the person had moved and future address was
unknown, I feared the worst.  Without any further contact from you, I had to
assume that the set was stolen and I would never get it back.  When I decided to
try your number one more time and your roommate said you still lived there, I
assumed that someone lied to the post office.  Who talked to the postman and why
was the letter not accepted?  You obviously hadn't moved and your roommate knows
you live there.  Why wasn't some arrangement made by you to keep me apprised of
your availability?  If you spend a lot of time away from this address, why not
ask someone (like your roommate) to keep people updated as to your schedule
since you yourself will not be unable to respond personally?  I found this lack
of an attempt on your part to stay in current communication with me very
upsetting.

If you want to FedEx me a check (for $40) that would be fine and we can consider
the matter closed.  However, I think it would behoove you in the future to make
arrangements to be more accessible while you are away.  This whole mess might
have been avoided if you had taken that initiative.

BTW, I have all the above e-mails available on my hard drive.  If you would like
hard copies, let me know and I'll send them to you.

David Simmons
611 Adams #5
Albany, CA 94706
USA
alienbuz@concentric.net
(510) 527-9036

I received several e-mails from Andrew (which came from an e-mail address other
than the one I had been provided with) in which he claimed innocence and
expressed irritation at my posting all his information on the newsgroup.  I
really didn't care at this point because it seemed to the only way to get him to
contact me.  This is the last e-mail he sent to me:

Hello,

On Friday upon my return I will gladly send you a cheque FedEx, overnight.
I'm pretty sure they deliver on the weekend, but if they dont, by Monday the
matter will be closed.  Hopefully in the future such incidents will not
happen.

As for you letter I have not moved and never have from my address, nor do I
intend to anytime soon, so I do not know why your letter was not delivered.

And no, I do not lie to the post office about my whereabouts so I can commit
mail fraud over Lego that are worth a few paltry dollars.  I would as they
say, go for the bundle.

Dr Andrew Gaul

I find the last paragraph most telling.  Not only did he regard my stolen
property as being worth only "a few paltry dollars" (I should've asked for $60
instead of $40!), but in the last sentence he practically admits to the crime in
an indirect but eyebrow-raising way.  Anyway, I just wanted everyone to have
this information.  I didn't want to post to the newsgroups again.  I figured it
would be better if we just pass the word along to all our friends through our
own private e-mail channels so that this person will not cause anyone else any
aggravation.  BTW, the check did not arrive FedEx, but in an envelope inside
another envelope, as though he didn't want whoever was mailing the check for him
to know what the matter was all about.

Thanks for reading all this stuff and I hope to see you all in February!

Dave

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/html;