Subject:
NMRA Convention in San Jose
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 01:07:37 GMT

I was wondering about the possibility of having a display at the NMRA
(National Model Railroad Association) convention in San Jose this summer.
There has been some talk of a National Lego Train convention, but it is
unclear whether it will be at the NMRA or at Carlsbad, if it even does
materialize.

I was hoping it would happen and coincide with the NMRA, at which point I
would also hope the GMLTC comes out hauling their massive set-up.  I am making
modules that are the same design as theirs and feel fairly confident that I
will be able to have 5 modules built by summer.  The problem is that I would
be unable to build a town for the top of it.

What I propose is a group effort from the BayLUG members to try to convince
the GMLTC to come out and have a National Lego Train Convention that coincides
with the NMRA event and offer to have 5+ modules to hook up to their 16-20
module layout.  I would be willing to make the modules (heck, I am making them
anyway, but I can't do more in so short a time) if I could get BayLUG members
to make some structures to decorate the town.

For those who were at the last BayLUG meeting, they saw one module 85%
complete.  I am almost done with 2 modules now and will be getting a third
done by late January.  They will have a complete 2 line subway system running
under the city and two train lines running across the top.  (For the curious,
they take 50-60 blue tubs per module)

Does this interest anybody at all, or am I alone dreaming of having an
impossibly cool layout here in California?

Anyway, I will not be bringing the modules to the BayLUG meeting coming up due
to a lack of room in my vehicle, as my wife will be using the Explorer that
weekend.

Mike Poindexter