Subject:
Needed overview of motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 00:24:36 GMT

Can someone give me a primer on which motors are good for what and how they
work.  I am thinking of building some motorized models like a ferris wheel
or just motorizing some pieces on a train and want to know what would be
appropriate.  I need to know the following four things;

a. How strong is the motor about what weight of pieces can it move (relative
strength is fine)
b. How does it get it's power (battery, plug in, etc)
c. How does it connect (via 9V motor wire or technic gearing or whatever)
d. Any interesting features

I have some confusion about battery boxes and motors.  Do all the motors
require the battery box?  How many 9V motor wires can you stack up on the
connector on a given battery box? I have some hope that 5119 is stand alone
possibly with a watch battery otherwise the train will have to carry around
a battery box (I guess that's what the cattle cars are for).  I assume
lighting on the train is done through the Train motor but how much can you
effectively run off of that without slowing the train down.  For instance I
doubt I could run lights on every car and a ferris wheel on one car and a
merry go round on the other without bringing the thing to a halt.  Can you
simply hook more Speed Regulators up to the track to compensate for this?

The motors that I see listed in the S@H catalog are

5114 Extra 9V Motor
a.
b. Requires external power source like Battery Box or 4548 Train
Speed Regulator
c. 9V motor wire connectors on top and bottom
d.
5119 Micro Motor
a.
b.
c.
d.
5225 Mini Motor
a.
b. Requires external power source like Battery Box or 4548
c. 9V motor wire connector on top
d.

The batteries that I see in S@H are

5115 9V Battery Box
8720 Power Pack
a.
b. 6 AA batteries
c. 9V motor wire
d. Apparently comes with 5115 and 5114 and 5037 (electric plate) and
2-9V motor wires as well as some technic parts
8735 LEGO Technic Motor
a.
b. 6AA batteries
c. 9v motor wire
d. Apparently comes with 5115 and 5225 and 1-9V motor wire as well
as some technic parts

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Janet