 Local / United States / California / San Diego / 54
Re: Trip Reports?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:27:21 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, ba-lego@cinnamon.com writes:
Hey c'mon you guys.
It's been 3 whole days since you've got back from Carlsbad and I've only
seen one trip report!

  OK, ok!  Sheesh, I've got lots of new Star Wars models to build before
I get back to web pages! ;-)

  So, in brief;

  We had a great time, despite the rain and ind and cold at noontime.

  The rides (Story Brooke, and the safari ride, and even the big tour
    boats) went too fast to take in the details. Thankfully, I brought
    the video camera, so I could zoom in for details, and we could pause
    the tape to look at details later. The word floating around from
    the park folks was that they ram 'em fast to keep the lines short,
    but some of us then weren't satisfied with the first ride, and were
    torn between trying to see it again, or forgetting about it. :-(

  Take your binoculars, and your zoom lens. When your close enough to
    touch everything, you're likely to get tunnel vision, and miss the
    other stuff, and you'll likely get tired of standing. You can just
    sit back on one of the taller planters, and use your lenses to see
    some of the details at the top of the buildings, and in the other
    parts of the displays.

  Take Sunscreen! During the summertime, there won't be many places to
    find shade, and you shouldn't plan to stay in those few demo areas,
    since there's so much to see outside! Bring lots of drinking water.

  The sound effects in the park are well done. (We found one pair that
    seemed to be swapped, but we guessed that was done for humor, and
    not an oversight or mistake. find the lion tamer with the cub on
    little bridge near the Taj Mahal and Sydney Opera House...) They
    are very directional, so you only hear each sound when you are near
    the associated models.

  Take lots of photos! I was busy with video, and I should have asked
    someone else to take still pics. (I even lugged the camera stuff
    all day, and *still* took less than 40 frames! :-(

  The peddal-powerd ride was a good way to see a lot of the park. There
    is also a good observation point in the middle of the maze around
    the kid-power tower. A good spot for taking photos.

  Someone told me that you can actually order plans (and all the bricks
    needed) to build almost any model in the park. Can someone try to
    verify this? If so, how much is the Rabbit Family on the Enchanted
    Walkway? And can we order these by mail? (If so, how? :-)

  Wear comfy shoes, two pairs of socks, and get plenty to drink for a
    few days before the visit! Get some exercise the week before, taking
    some long walks, so that you won't find yourself pooped in the middle
    of your first day in the park. (After all, it's an expensive visit,
    so you should be ready to take advantage of it! :-)

  I'll write more on my web page, coming in a week or two.

      -Z-    http://baylug.org   Bay Area LEGO Users Group