 Local / United Kingdom / England / 85
Re: HELP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk.en
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:48:57 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk.en, Michael Hassall writes:
i am quite new to all this LUG stuff and was wondering about englands LUG. i
live in bromsgrove near birmingham and i have never seen, heard any thing
about LUG's in my area socould any one in the area please help.

Hi Michael.

Others may wish to step in to correct me but here's a little explanation of
the UK AFOL situation.  Despite there being a great group of people who get
together for Fests and stuff there are still relatively few of us in the UK.

The North British Lego Train Club is the only official (in terms of having
some organisation and web-presence, not in terms of any TLC approval) group
in the UK to my knowledge. (If there are any others I would be happy to be
corrected and add them to the sidebar).

We don't have any 'LUG's' in the UK (yet). The whole LUG thing is based on
the US model where there are loads of them and the loc.uk sidebar says 'UK
Lego User's Group' because that what it had when I took it over earlier in
the year.  We are currently discussing (see the sidebar) whether we want a
more formal organisation and what it might look like but I very much doubt
there will be more than a single UK-wide group for a long time if ever.

UK AFOLs don't tend to use the 'national' newsgroups, everything relevant to
the UK gets posted to loc.uk

So in conclusion, hello and welcome and please check out the upcoming events
to see if you can make it along, we'll be happy to see you.  If not and in
any case keep posting to Lugnet.

Simon