 Local / United Kingdom / 948
Re: Soccer Sets.. ahem.. Football Sets in Forge TRU, Glasgow!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 23:07:56 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:02:18 GMT, Richard Franks uttered the following
profundities...

Re Beatties, it is chain-wide. They have quite a few Lego Island for a
tenner down here in High Wycombe. I haven't actually bought one yet...

This same Beatties also had the minifig players for 28p. They also had
a sale a couple of months ago, with the Technic 8299 subs for 15 quid,
and the black, FOS Technic set (sorry, no number to hand) for 20, then
15. The big Explorien Starships for 30, then 20, then 15! Some of the
Aqua sets, a couple of Model Team sets as well.

That sale seemed quite  successful. I estimate they had a 100 subs
when I first noticed them, and they were all gone within a month.

TRU and SW.... I went to the TRU in Hayes, (near Heathrow), and they
have lots and lots of Star Wars. The Episode one sets were more expensive,
but since the big launch in June of all SW toys, they have lowered the
prices to match Argos (still the cheapest, I believe).

Though I haven't bought a SW action figure since the early 80's, I have
noticed, in many shops, that the Ep iv-vi figures have now risen in
price, to just a tad below the new Ep i figs. Aren't those a rip-off!
Add a little chip, which must cost 1/10th of a penny in the numbers
that must have been produced, to justify adding a couple of quid to the
cost! And at 7 or so pounds each, it is even more sickening when you
learn they only cost 7 dollars!

One thing, though, at least with the dollar strengthening, those great
American deals are not so great anymore...
They have:
* Starter Kit
* Security Police
* Commentary Box
* Floodlights

I'm not actually based in Glasgow again for another two weeks.. but if
anyone desperately needs any of these then I might be able to pick one
up.

This was about a week ago (I was on holiday!) so there still should be
some left.

Oh! And Beaties in Carlise were selling off the extra player minifigs
for 28p each... I bought all eight that they had left.. but they might
just have put another box out? I don't know if we have anyone in Carlise
to check this out?

I might as well make a holiday report.. Beaties in Liverpool were
selling Lego Island for 9.99 in their bargain bucket. I'm guessing that
this is probably a chain-wide sale, but I'm also guessing that they'll
go quickly as I only saw the one copy in the bucket.

A Woolworths in Liverpool city center had about 50 Darth Vader Lego
postcards. Actually it may have been WH Smith.. it didn't sell any water
though which suprised me.. if that helps any local track it down!

Keswick was remarkably dry.. their main toy shop in the touristy bit
didn't have a trace of Lego. But as it's a small toy shop I guess Lego
haven't bothered to keep up relations with them etc etc. In another shop
they were selling Fort Legoredo for £67.99!!

The two TRU's in Glasgow seem to be desperate to get rid of the
Landspeeder, as they have racks upon racks of them marked down to £4.99.
Out of the two the one in the Forge Retail park was the most interesting
as it had a 6563 (Gator Landing/The Gold Gang?) and two Paradisa sets
(6404). All full price but perhaps an indication that they came across
some old stock.. or else their shelves are too high!

Jenners in Edinburgh is worth checking out at the moment.. they are
selling off about 10 of their Technic shuttles for £70, possibly a
decent investment if you're into that sort of thing.. and 5571's the Big
BIG MT truck for £60. Actually the price tag had been written over in
biro with a £50.. but when I took it to the checkout she said £60.. even
though it was obviously a £50 (they all wore glasses and were peering at
it from arms length).

So I tried to look at the price of the other one they had that was
beneath the entire stack of boxes on end, three high.. and they all
toppled over and it was embarrassing. They were also trying to get rid
of a lot of their older Technic stuff.. the boxes may be a little
damaged by now, but they had a good selection. No numbers - sorry -
technic's not my thing.. but they did have the crane/truck big set.

Richard

richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam.(lugnet excepted)
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888