 Local / United Kingdom / 9294
Re: New to Lego Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:56:59 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, John Adams wrote:
All,

I have just joined today as I have purchased my first Lego Train set for
a model railway exhibition to be held in Bangor N.Ireland at the end of
May 2004.As it is my first show I intend just to have an oval track with
a train and a few wagons running around. I hope to get another train by
the middle of May. What I really need is some plans for buildings to
place in the centre of the layout. Can anyone provide me with some or
advise me where can locate them?

Any other advice building/running Lego trains would be most useful.

Regards
John Adams

If you need buildings quickly I would advise you to get a couple of Blacksmiths
cottages (set 3739) from Lego Shop at Home.  I use a couple on my layout and I
made one as a mirror image of the other.  I would do a small station with a
building too, and use green plates with trees to fill some of the awkward small
spaces.

I made an oil tank that would go with tanker wagons, using 2 layers of black
bricks and at least 10 layers of white bricks.  Draw a circle on a piece of
squared paper to see where the walls should go.  Build that circle to a decent
height and finish off with plates to give a slightly rounded top.  Put a ladder
up the side if you can, using the grey ladders with 1x2 plates.

In the Brickish Association at www.brickish.org there is a group of us, from all
over the UK, who build Lego train layouts, mostly with some realism and lots of
fun in 6-wide, with a few people building to various scales.  Get in touch at
http://www.brickish.org/join.asp

I wish you success with the show.  I have been exhibiting for over 3 years now
and my layout has grown to 16ft x 12ft with 11 trains!  I hope to exhibit in
Hull (NE England) in November.

The wagon kits are great for getting up and running with trains.  Then you might
want to design some that look realistic.  Once you have a good wagon design,
make a rake of them as it looks better.

Once you're up and running you can decide where you want it to go - kits or
scratch built, layout size and scale, fun or realistic.  See what works at the
show.

Mark Bellis