 Local / United Kingdom / 9275
9274  |  9276
Subject:
Piece-By-Piece South-Hants Review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:04:02 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

After months of planning, organisation and building, the day of the
Piece-by-Piece South-Hants Show finally arrived.

Despite arriving at the hall at 8:40am Pete and Rhys had beaten me there.  The
cars were unloaded, a brief conversation finalised the layout of the hall, and
table and NBLTC module assembly started in earnest. (What was all that about
"table co-ordinators" I kept hearing?).  More exhibitors arrived in ones, twos
and threes, and, after the briefest of "hellos", effortlessly went about setting
up areas of the show.

The biggest "gaps" in the continuous flow of setting up occurred with the
arrival of Andy Watts and his hoard of all things minifig, and Stuart and
Caroline Lee and their boxes of goodies to sort through.  That's part of what
these gatherings are all about - there's nothing like a good rummage in someone
else's drawers!

By 11am we were just about set-up.  Having been concentrated on building the
monorail track it was incredible to look up and see the 9 small tables I'd
deposited my castle town modules on to be covered with an impressive castle
display, and the 6 large tables where I'd left my pitiful quantity of tan
baseplates to have become the amazing space displays; and we had running 9v
trains and running monorail.

The first members of the public arrived around 11:15am and a steady stream kept
arriving for the next 3 hours.  Around 50 adults and 70 children came to look
and buy, most seemed impressed and some left with literature and purchases.  The
local press sent a photographer, so Pete will (hopefully) get his picture in yet
another paper!

I have to thank others for the photos as my camera stayed in its case (as I
spent most of my time talking to the public about the displays, the models, the
event and all things Lego, as well as trying to get people to buy raffle
tickets).

The hall was arranged with three of the four main displays down the middle (as
can be seen in this long view
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=667789) with the fourth main
display taking up most of the back wall (to the left of the long view).  The
four main displays were a (mainly) town themed monorail layout featuring space
trains (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=667770), a Castle Town
dominated by the castle with numerous buildings, a fountain, a gallows and
fortifications clustered between it and the wharf
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=667752), a 9v train layout with
a variety of stock (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=667790), and
the space displays of robots and StarWars
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=667764 and
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=669019).  The remainder of the
back wall and all the front wall were occupied by sellers stock
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=667788 and
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=667787), free information
handouts, the raffle prizes and a collection of cameo scenes.

There were a couple of unintentional "demonstrations" as exhibitors
reconstructed their models during the show which a couple of people remarked
upon as being "fun and interesting" - perhaps future events should encourage the
intentional destruction of models in transit!

In no time at all 3pm arrived, the doors were closed, the raffle drawn (1st
prize won by Mark Nash and the other 3 prizes going to members of the public),
and it was time to pack up.  Fortunately most people were done by the time the
children's party entertainer in the room next door set off the fire alarm with
the smoke generator!  Certainly an eventful way to end an extremely enjoyable
day.

My thanks to all involved, but especially to Peter Reid (space co-ordinator),
David Tabner (train co-ordinator), James Stacy (for adopting the castle area),
Stephen Juby (for making sure the monorails kept running), Andy Watts and Stuart
Lee (for bringing their stock to sell), Caroline Lee (for keeping us supplied
with coffee and tea) and last, but by no means least, to Craig Stevens for
letting me host a show under his Piece-By-Piece banner.

William Howard
Show Organiser