 Local / United Kingdom / 7252
Re: Sideways tiles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 18:56:07 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Mark Palmer writes:
Need some help.....

Something I've seen on a few MOC's, notably a yellow open hopper at TVLF
2001,
placing 1xn tiles sideways to bricks to give the appearance of "ribs".
How is it
done? I've tried using technic 1x2 bricks with a technic half peg but it
doesn't
match the underside of the tile.

I'm sure I haven't described this very well, but maybe it will prompt
some discussion
of techniques. Pointers to web pages would be welcome.

Rgds Mark

ps It's to make a water tower, with a square tank.

I don't know the wagon you're referring to, but if you're talking about
vertical ribs, there are a few ways of doing it.  If you use the technic
half-peg in a 2x1 or a 1x1 technic brick, mount one above the other with two
plates spacing between them.  That gives the peg-ends a spacing of exactly
one stud, and you can attach a 1x4 tile or plate to them vertically.
Alternatively, build the whole side wall sideways, with studs facing to one
end.  Make it a multiple of 5 plates long, including tyles over the studded
end, and it'll fit into a multiple of 2 studs of space.  Add in regular
layers of 1x1 headlight bricks, and now when you attach a tile (or plate,
for a rivet effect) it will be recessed slightly on the headlight bricks.

I got a rib effect on my livestock wagon by recessing the panels, instead of
adding to the width with ribs:

<http://www.joefish.cwc.net/livestock/instruct>

Though this could be difficult to do on 4 sides of a water tank.

Jason J Railton