 Local / United Kingdom / 7137
Re: Harry Potter getting left out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 04:11:23 GMT

I would like to quickly comment on so many people's objection to Harry
Potter.

As a large fan of fantasy novels, I have always found this strong objection
to fantasy from different religious factions quite peculiar.  My first
girlfriend many years ago was like that; anything to do with magic, wizards,
dragons, etc.  was evil and I was going to go to hell if I associated myself
with it.  Personally, I feel that is way off base.

It is logical for the church to oppose demons and dark magic; evil satonic
things.  This makes a lot a sence.  But I have never felt that reading about
"good guy" mages, or playing an RPG was a huge sin.  If one were to really
go out on the street and start casting spells, I would be concerned, but to
read about it in a PURELY FICTICIOUS FASHION is quite OK.

Furthermore, how is a fantasy novel, take Harry Potter, any different than a
fairy tale?  Nearly every single fairly tale has some element of magic from
both good guys and bad guys.  Sure, there is obviously an awful lot of
wicked witches in fairy tales, but what about the Fairy Godmother
(Cinderella, Pinochio).  This is a magic bearing creature who is 100% good
and out to help.  I don't see the church getting up in arms about them!

Which leads me to my last point.  Magic is not the only thing in our culture
that the church opposes.  The church opposes violence, guns, abortion, sex
before marrige, etc.  And look at the hundreds of movies and television
shows that contain these things.  But why does the church not boycott these
movies/shows as well?  Is rape less evil then Merlin?

This war against fantasy has been going on for quite some time in different
factions of the church, and Harry Potter has given them the exact
opportunity they were looking for.  Something out in the public that they
can openly critisize.

And, I wonder if the Entertainer would also boycott all fairy tale toys?  I
wonder if they are going to boycott the Lord of the Rings action figures
that will surely come out in the next few months?  And if they don't (which
they shouldn't), they are contradicting themselves substantially.

KEith