 Local / United Kingdom / 526
Re: New LEGO shop in Kent!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:51:27 GMT

Chris Dee wrote in message ...
In lugnet.loc.uk, Jon D Hayward writes:
I went to the Blue Water shopping centre today at Greenhythe, Kent... It
opened last week with 320 shops and 5,000,000 potential customers with a
half hour's drive. It's the "largest shopping centre in Europe" (it sez
'ere)...

Anyway, while wandering around, we saw some LEGO "Just Imagine" and "The
Excitement is Building" panels where it looked like a shop should be...

...so, I pestered the staff at one of the information stands:

"Yes, LEGO will be opening a shop here next month!!!"

Whoopee! A decent LEGO selection only 20 minutes from home 8-) (1) I hope
very much that their selection and prices will be similar to those of
LEGOLAND Windsor.

As soon as I know more, I'll post an update.

Jon.

Jon D Hayward
Chatham, Kent, Great Britain

mailto:Jon-D-Hayward@Chatham-Kent.Prestel.co.uk
http://www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/chatham-kent/

1. TRU are just about useless and are always overpriced, but they've still
managed to wipe out the local competition 8-(

Heard on the radio this morning that The Entertainer Group (allegedly the • UKs
largest independent toy retailer) are threatening to boycott LEGO if this • shop
opens. Apparently they fear unfair competition if the manufacturer sells • direct
to the public, as TLG will be able undercut retailers. I wonder?

Chris

...but I'd never even heard of The Entertainer [Group] until I got on-line.
Where's my nearest branch? Southampton? I don't see there actually being
_any_ competition here!

...OTOH, I can see that TEG will worry that they can't get away with
charging their grossly over inflated prices any more...

Hmmm...

Jon.