 Local / United Kingdom / 5216
Re: Podracer sets £18.99 in Woolies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:44:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Jennifer Clark writes:
lawrence wilkes wrote:

They were similar price in Argos earlier in the year.
This must have been one of Lego's worst selling large sets.

I'm not surprised - if it is the set I think it is, they were asking a
large amount of money for what appeared from the box to be a couple of
small vehicles. Very bad value for money if you take the photograph on
the box at face value. Saying that, I got a few Star Wars models in a
sale recently, and they were looked a lot better (and bigger) in real
life than the picture on the box would suggest.

Jennifer Clark

Sixty-five quid was still a lot to ask for three podracers, when a single
one was sold for under nine.  The other two were bigger, but not that much
bigger.  Add to that the fact that a complete Star Wars Lego collection thus
ends up having two of the same craft in it (Anakin's Podracer) - when
there's only one in the whole Star Wars universe - and you have a marketing
flop.

Not only that, but anyone could have told Lego that the classic sets would
be far more popular than Episode 1, but which range has the most expensive set?

Still, you're doing well if you can find a Woolies that stocks anything
other than Slizers and Roboriders.

Jason J Railton.