 Local / United Kingdom / 4071
4070  |  4072
Subject:
Another LLW report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 09:34:54 GMT

As advertised, I made the Pilgrimage yesterday. It was a fine day for
taking photos, so I took lots. And let me tell you, a 400mm lens is
*great* for picking out details :-) I'll be able to resolve the 'how did
they make that circle' question, and point out a few other interesting
construction details.

On the shopping front, they now have the mini-heroes in stock, but not
the SW ones. TIE Interceptors were plentiful at GBP75, Millennium
Falcons slightly less plentiful at the same price, and I had the last X-
wing for GBP115. They are expecting a delivery of these, though.

They also had a lot of dino adventurers sets, and I picked up some 4801
Defence Archers (that's what it's called on the receipt).

The above observations on volumes are almost certainly out of date
already, as I visited the shop at about 14:00 and left shortly after.

One thing I must say: on the whole, I wasn't impressed with the current
range at all. The Technic offerings were just rubbish, the dino sets all
look like you *have* to use your imagination to figure out what they're
supposed to be. After the new SW sets, the thing which drew my attention
the most was the watch display (I had to buy another one :-)

Oh, they did have a number of 4565s and some train washes, as well as
stacks of crossing tracks, curves and controllers - what a surprise ;-)

Contrary to Lawrence, I thought the Millennium Dome was great, but
that's probably the engineer in me coming out. I'm not sure if it was
drawing the crowds, or if the path is narrower at that point, but there
were lots of people in my way :-)

Miniland is great! If you're lacking in inspiration, just go and look at
the great things that are possible. It's guaranteed to get your creative
juices flowing :-)
--
Tony Priestman