 Local / United Kingdom / 276
Re: LEGO on 6 O'Clock news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 10:19:16 GMT

Huw Millington writes:

http://www.lego.com/info/pressspecific.asp?PressReleaseId=50&Year=1999

To summarise -
" We think we're selling more bricks, we're opening more theme parks, and we've
expanded into multimedia so right now we're not too sure why we're doing so
badly.  Best management consultants' knee-jerk reaction - we must downsize -
fewer employees and products.  We'll slim the European market first, then worry
about the rest of the world.  The computer games division will be targetted
last, so with a bit of luck they can continue to churn out rubbish for a year
or two.  We will continue to buy expensive licences, and churn out more
'collectables' like Star Wars and Winnie the Pooh, until we manage to find a
licence which isn't carte blanche to print money ."

So it sounds like there's a sensible hand on the tiller at TLG then?

Richard