 Local / United Kingdom / 2232
Re: UKLUG comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 17:45:33 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Liam Parnell writes:
I see a number of problems with the list of shops by areas:

Ah.. this is why I've been fiddling with it, and haven't announced anything
yet!

(1) It won't cover all shops in all areas.

It should do... or do you mean because not every town is listed on LUGNET? The
solution there is to have a list of local shops at the lowest possible level.
So the Greenock and Paisely shops are stored in the 'Strathclyde' level.

(2) The data will go out of date, and will not be used enough to maintain
   accuracy.

This is a problem with any collection of data! What it will rely on is
user-feedback, ie if you know a local toyshop that burned down or something,
then you can let the maintainer know.

Or if you use one of the phone numbers, and you find yourself ordering a tasty
take-away supper instead, then again feedback is useful!

(3) Telephone numbers + addresses can be found easily via Yellow
   Pages/Tourist Information.

Do not let me dissuade you with my pessimism!  My reasoning is based
mainly on the fact that one can telephone Tourist Information in the
location you wish to visit, and have them send you a list of Lego shops,
and a nice little map!

Yep - they are really handy, but...
a) If you want to scan the toyshops within a 50-mile radius..
b) If you want to know what sets they usually cover and general prices..
c) If you'd like to know about all shops that carry Lego, department stores,
   co-ops etc..
d) If you live abroad and/or you don't want to phone around Tourist Information
   places..

Then having it online would be handier for you!

If the listing contained more valuable information, it would be more
useful than the other sources, but as the information would go stale
quickly would also be a full time job to maintain.

It may be possible to distribute the task, eg have someone for the North of
England someone for the South of England etc.

The current listing is very much open to debate and change! Todd suggested
coverage in terms of themes, which I think should be in there. I'll probably
move the full address to the individual shop page and replace it with a more
localised version - perhaps only street name and #. The telephone# should be in
the table I think, as its useful for people who want to phone around a lot of
shops looking for a particular set.

A listing of shopping websites is a different matter, as people would
exercise the links daily.

Yep - good idea, I've included an option to list shops by those online.

I think the recommended shops page is a good idea.  Someone did such a
page:

http://www.personal.u-net.com/~westwood/lego/shop.htm

Wow - that has quite a lot of work put into it! It would be nice to have dated
mini-reviews of shops like those there.

Richard