 Local / United Kingdom / 2188
Re: Crappy Parcel Force service
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 14:07:32 GMT

Last Saturday : I posted a parcel to HK (airmail - £44).
Wednesday : It was delivered to my house. The tracking number was never
activated.

They did that to me too. I put the 'to' address in big letters on the
front, with my address, clearly marked 'from', in much smaller letters
in the corner below it. It arrived back a couple of days later. Dimwits.
Needless to say I don't put my address on the front anymore.

From my dealings with Royal Mail et al at work, addresses are read from the
bottom upwards, i.e. postcode then post town... Their excuse would be that
yours was the lower address and therefore the delivery address 8-(

If you write your 'from' address in a single line at the top of the address
label, it cannot be read automatically.

The 'to' address should end with the post code, with the post town on the
previous line, both in CAPS. The county is _not_ required if the correct
full postcode is used.

BTW: the post office prefer plain fonts like Arial or fixed fonts like
Courier, i.e. no italics, scripts, serifs or such like. Bold fonts aren't
appreciated either, and the ideal font size is between 10 and 15pt.

e.g.:

From: Me, 1 Road, Town, AB1 2CD   <- 10pt Arial
To:                               -
    You                            |
    2 Road                         |- 15pt Arial
    TOWN                           |
    WX3 4YZ                       -

Hope that helps a bit 8-)

Jon.