 Local / United Kingdom / 2121
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:49:33 GMT

Richard wrote:

In lugnet.loc.uk, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Richard thinks its wrong for some people to have more than others,
presumably whether we're talking about money, Lego sets, or
whatever.  He's been fairly outspoken about it before.

If you didn't catch it, he was making a reference to the problem he
had with several Americans buying up tons of the Blue Hoppers a
while back.

I've replied to this elsewhere.

Ya, this really gets up my nose, as they say in the UK. Let's review,
one more time, the blue hopper thing, because, after all, it's me that
Richard is talking about.

Am I?  I ruddy well am not!  I had no part in the whole blue hopper thread.
And I was not referring to you, but anyone ordering unfeasably large numbers
of (usually) very expensive sets.

Who says you're the Richard that I was talking about when I said "it's
me that Richard is talking about". :-) I was talking about the Richard
that Mike was talking about. :-) I knew which Richard he meant even if,
at the time, he misattributed it to the wrong Richard, which I didn't
catch. Does that help? :-)

Up to this point, I'd respected Larry as a valuable member of the RTL and
lugnet community (making more of a contribution in the past couple of years
than I ever will).  But right now, at least until I cool off, he's not on my
list of top ten people.

Sorry to hear that. But if one misattribution washes away "two years of
contributions", so be it, I guess. I've never been much good at winning
popularity contests, nor cared to be, if the truth be told.

And to top it off, after attacking me on the basis of a thread I've never
posted to, Larry gives another contributor a ticking-off for incorrect
attributions of messages.  That REALY takes the biscuit.  Especially as I'd
been at pains to point out exactly which Richard I wasn't!!! (Which shouldn't
be taken as a slight on the rest of Clan Richard)

Richard Dewsbery

Wait, what does "ticking off" mean? My idiomatic UK english isn't
perfect, I'm just an anglophile, not a resident, but I thought it meant
to give someone rather a hard time or speak to them in an angry fashion.
Here's what I said:

Richard, you have to be careful in trimming your attributions. What was
">>" in your post was not said by Scott, but rather the words of Nick G.
Trimming off Nick's name can cause confusion.

I certainly did not MEAN those words to come out harshly and if they
read that way, I apologise... Was that a ticking off??