 Local / United Kingdom / 2114
Re: Educate me!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:04:17 GMT

Richard Dee wrote:

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:17:25 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following
profundities...
r hendrix wrote:

What in the world is a £ anyway?

It's the currency symbol used for the Great Britain Pound. I'm not 100%
sure but I think the Irish Punt uses the same symbol. It is exactly
analogous to $ being the currency symbol for US and Canadian and a bunch
of other dollars.

Yes, 'tis the same symbol.
Now, for the history, why a pound?
The Roman soldiers that occupied our land were paid in salt,
one pound of it.

Not just in the UK, that apparently was an empire wide thing, although I
hadn't heard the bit about it being one pound's worth.

Salt and Salary have the same latin root. Now you know why.

However your explanation doesn't explain why it's a "pound STERLING"...