 Local / United Kingdom / 2109
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 19:01:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Nick Goetz writes:

G. Benedikt Rochow wrote in message ...

<snip>>

I am *very* surprised that they are giving any discount at all, rather
than ending those emails with "[...], but thanks anyway for trying
to screw us over."

-gbr

Humm... I don't recall trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes or trying
to take any unfair advantage. Come to think of it, I didn't even create

If you tried to order any of their mispriced items, you certainly
did try to unfairly take advantage of their erroneous data in
their automated system (in their sleep no less?).

their error. If you think I did please let me know. I saw an offer that I
was willing to accept and I sent my information along.

No you didn't - or are you saying that you honestly believed
those to be the real prices, despite
-the "they left off a zero" message
-the (e.g.) 99-59=4 ad
-the fact that the price is ludicrous
and are thus claiming false advertising, as in "they stated this price
and now they're no honoring it"?

        Where you get off
Thanking me for trying to screw someone over is beyond me. I don't have a

I'm not. However, I'm surprised the store owner doesn't feel that way,
which is why I wrote what I thought they might write.

lawyer investigating this, and I haven't demanded that they ship my order at
the posted price. It was a mistake, I am unhappy, but my credit card and I
have moved on.

Yes, their price was a mistake. You knew that before you ordered.
To paraphrase: Their price was a mistake. You knew that before you
ordered.

I understand unhappiness in the sense that the unrealistically
nice deal didn't work -
guess what: I didn't order any because I knew they wouldn't
be silly enough to honor _a_typo_.
However, you are unhappy in the sense of being angry at that
store for doing you the apparent injustice of not honoring their
obvious-mistake-based price, as well as too little "compensation"
(for what, I still don't know).
*They don't even owe an apology to anyone*
Your whole tenor of "they didn't do right by me" is what gets
me. There is nothing to "move on" from, and according to your
post that I'm responding to, even if there were, you haven't.
According to the indignation in this response, you're still
very much the victim, as you just ordered something at a reasonable,
posted price, and the evil storeowner just cancelled your
order without rhyme or reason, leaving you with nothing
but a nice discount offer.
It's not your trying to make this order I'm responding to,
but your response to it not working out.

(I won't be responding to anymore of the messages directed at me in this
thread. I would prefer to talk about shopping rather than attacking others
and just being mean.)

Well, let's not attack The Entertainer for giving a 10% discount, then.

Have a great day!

*I* will.

-gbr