 Local / United Kingdom / 2079
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:55:15 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Scott-A <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
I'll confess to being a little concerned about those ordering 10 or 20 copies
of particular sets.

I did this (10 8480's). But I often do buy multiple copies of sets - sometimes
for parts, sometimes for trade. So I do not really see it as a problem...
although my wife would argue the opposite.

Richard thinks its wrong for some people to have more than others,
presumably whether we're talking about money, Lego sets, or
whatever.  He's been fairly outspoken about it before.

If you didn't catch it, he was making a reference to the problem he
had with several Americans buying up tons of the Blue Hoppers a
while back.

'Course, if the European Legomaniacs had done their job
in the first place and bought them when they came out they wouldn't
have been there for Busy Bee to find and sell.

Ya, this really gets up my nose, as they say in the UK. Let's review,
one more time, the blue hopper thing, because, after all, it's me that
Richard is talking about.

Paul made the knowledge available to a few people, including Simon
Denscombe and someone who told me.

Simon told Paul that he should order lots and lots. Paul likes Simon but
after all, telling someone is one thing... **I** told Paul that he
should order lots and lots, here was my credit card number and I'd buy
300 of them. Big difference. If all Paul had to go on was Simon's word
he MIGHT  have ordered 50. Instead he got 300... and I only got 96. The
other 204 were allocated to OTHER AFOLs. Great. I was thrilled to hear
that.

But Paul never would have ordered 300 if it wasnt for ME backstopping
him. I'm not making that up, Paul told me that himself. So the rest of
you poms would NOT have gotten nearly as many as you did if it wasn't
for me making sure it happened.

When all was said and done, and it became clear to me what a gold mine I
happened to have lucked into, I told Paul he was charging way too
little. He agreed but said it was too late to raise his price, he made a
deal and he was going to stick to it. I LOVE doing business with people
like that. So I told him to just tack 200 pounds onto my next order
because I wanted to share the windfall I got. He did. I feel good about
that, I want Busy Bee to make money and stay in business. I didn't do it
because I felt guilty about anything, I did it for Paul because I like
him and his wife.

So I guess I'm sick of these veiled references to the "blue hopper
thing". You people whining haven't internalised what a "venture
capitalist" brings to the table and why it's fair that a VC makes a
boatload of money the one time in 10 or 100 when things go right. Which
is why the UK economy, much improved that it is, doesn't hold a candle
to the US economy.

Signed
The great profiteer
(who lost more in the stock market yesterday on one stock than the
entire amount I will make on LEGO this year, but that's OK, I'll get it
back tomorrow)