 Local / United Kingdom / 1990
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:36:16 GMT

Alan Kershaw wrote:

The law on this form of commerce has not been tested in the UK as yet. Some of
you may remember the news splash a few weeks ago when an electrical
manufacturer put £300.00 TV's up for £3.00.
Normally when you try to purchase something in a shop you make "an offer to
treat" which the shopkeeper then accepts and you have a contract.
In this case the retailers defence was twofold :
[snip....]

The bottom line was that despite all the bad publicity no one got their TV's
for £3.00 (even the guy who had ordered 5000)

Cheers

This was the first thing I thought- and I've got a URL about it:
-> http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/the_company_file/newsid_441000/441426.stm

(Long- may break. Feh.)

Good luck, but I doubt they'll honour the orders- but with some of the
Americans I've seen on the previous thread, I'd be surprised if there
wasn't a legal battle brewing here too. (Insert smiley here.)

:: paul