 Local / United Kingdom / 1394
Re: Technic Supercar article in this week's Autocar magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 20:29:03 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Adrian Drake writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Michael Edwards writes:
I have uploaded the scans to this on my website, it will be ready by 3:15
Today

--
Please reply on
medwards@ukonline.co.uk

Home of the UK Technic Club Magazine
Web site: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/medwards
160 models and going up

That's an interesting little article.  Thanks for posting the scans in a large
enough dpi such that they were readable.  It's interesting to try and discern
the design mentality behind the cars.  For example, the blue supercar • prototype
looks a lot like a corvette, and the yellow like a Porsche 944.  What vehicle
does the released version make you think of the most?

They should've made the black and purple car from page 3.  That thing looks so
densely populated with pieces, I bet it weighs a ton though!

Adrian
--
http://junior.apk.net/~tremor/lego.html

I find it interesting to see that they, too, tried 8880 tires on the
new-for-98 3-thin-spoke "alloy" wheels (I guess their development
timeframe is far too long for that to have been inspired by me
posting about that possibility); the chromed 8880 wheels look
a lot better then the new wheels created for the set.

But they speak of tests they did to make sure the design holds
up under "use", including the wheels's weight-carrying ability
- I'd have to guess their withheld their findings, because,
among other things:
-the front wheels are mounted in a manner that goes floppy *very*
quickly (3-axle-with-stud), such that the "wheelbearings" are softer
than the suspension
-the body flexes long before the suspension does, and often
causes the wing doors to pop open
-while the wheels may be tough enough (not their coating though -
some of mine came with "curb scratches", must have been a demonstrator),
the soft tires have no support from wheel ridges (see 8880), and
thus get flattened rather a bit even by the 8448 standard model's
lightweight front, not to mention the heavier rear or, god forbid, a
full-bodied model. I keep it parked up on blocks like a 70s Trans Am to
avoid permanent flat spots. (and those tires won't appear in a service
pack, will they?) I guess moss rubber strips could be used to fluff them
up...

Nice to see the article, anyway.

-gbr