 Local / Portugal / 41
Re: PLUG officially founded - report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.it, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:32:12 GMT

In lugnet.loc.it, Mario Ferrari writes:
"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> wrote:
In lugnet.loc.pt, Mario Ferrari writes:
"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> wrote:
There was never any kind of Lego organization here, and I do not know what
is Lego share in the toy market (thus I do not know how many to expect in • a
distant future). Quite honestly, we will do like you and trust in the Net • to
spread. But only at first:

This seems to work, at least it worked here here in Italy :-) The point is
that this will probably lead to a great percentage of Mindstorms fan over
all the possible other themes. I don't know what kind of diffusion the Net
has in Portugal, but in Italy it started mainly with computer hobbiests and
professionals, so the result is:
- Many computer fans also love Mindstorms
- They have access to the net
- They found us and became members
Almost 60% of our members have an interest in Mindstorms, but I'm glad to
see that more and more fans of other themes are subscribing in recent times.

The Net penetration here is quite high among youngsters, schools have been
making efforts in that sense. The way it started appears to have been
similar to Italy's.
However, Mindstorms sets seem to be rare in Portuguese shelves, so I wonder
if we will get such a percentage of "Computer-heads" in our club; that is to
ask, will we ever gain critic mass? Mostly, Mindstorms users here are
college students  -  mainly in Lisbon's IST (Instituto Superior Técnico, or
Engineering school), so a bit far away to the south.
I have no complexes about being outnumbered in my own interests by
Mindstorms fans, or anything else (other than Duplo, Scala or Belville...
blaaarghhh...). But I fear they are not enough. Or at least they are not
visible...

Would you say it was a good idea to ask Lego Portugal (if there is one) to
advertise our club with small leaflets? Would they take us seriously, if • we
had a site and a *formal* organization (registered in the civil registry)?

I don't know if there's a LEGO office in Portugal. Most of the South Europe
subsidiaries have been closed and grouped under the management of a single
South Europe entity, located in Milan (Italy). The warehouse for the same
markets is, from what I heard, in Lion (France). But as Italy has a
dedicated office that controls the Italian market, I suspect that most
countries have their own too.

We used to have a warehouse in Lisbon, now we have a Lisbon phone number. I
knew there was a logical explanation for that...

We have been in touch with LEGO Italy. They knew of our existence, and in
this period of lack of customer service (the old service closed, LD not yet
active) they even redirected some desperate customer to us :-)))
They invited us to attend a Toy Fair in Milan and organize a robotic contest
there to show to the public. A part from this short contacts, I cannot say
they support us or we have any kind of cooperation.

No toy fairs here. Not *anything*. It is as if Lego didn't recognize a whole
market, or neglected expansion around here  -  we have been abandoned to
Playmobil, Lego is residual in toy shops.

As for the leaflets, we've been discussing the thing, but it never went on.
Our idea was to distribute some leaflets in toy shops through some voluntary
work of the members. Maybe one day, sooner or later, we will succeed in the
project.

That sounds interesting, we may learn from your experience.

I do understand a bit of italian (but not a lot); I do not know how to
write/speak properly *yet*. Sorry :(

Don't apologize, I don't speak even a single word of Portuguese :-)

Yet. Never say never... ;-)

Pedro