 Local / Portugal / 32
Re: PLUG officially founded - report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:17:16 GMT

"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> wrote:
Hi!

This afternoon I have met two other lugneteers here in Porto in order to
found a new LEGO club in Portugal. It was a very profitable meeting, and
this is a brief report.
First of all, we have decided to call it PLUG (Portuguese Lego Users • Group);
it is an English acronym, but it sounded better than the portuguese
alternative (so we stuck to it).

A warm welcome from ItLUG!

Since we are very few yet (3!), the primary task we assumed is to gather a
significant number of interested people. To do so, a web page will soon be
developed and announced in national search engines, as well as LUGNET.
Then, we will have to organize events. This is yet an informal • organization,
but we hope to register PLUG when we have enough "supporters". Having done
so, it will be easier to evolve from a "3-buddies-meet-fest" to a more
sofisticated "brickfest-like" event. We are realistic though, this may • take
a long time.
Last but not least, HEEELP! We are all amateurs in this sort of thing, so • we
could really use your opinions and expertise in the subject "LUG". Please
hint us on how to manage this newborn club, I personally feel a bit
disoriented...

ItLUG started formally on November 1999. At that time there were already
about 15 of us who had got in touch through LUGNET or the Italian Lego
Maniacs page published on my site. From the official foundation of ItLUG and
the birth of its official site www.itlug.org about 18 months have passed,
and we have reached  140 members. All of them found us through the net. Not
bad, isn't it? :-)
It's true that not all of them are very active members, but at least 45
attended on of our events at least once, and a bit more write at least
occasionally on the local Italian newsgroup lugnet.loc.it.
If we can infer something from the population, given that Portugal has about
10M inhabitants against Italy tha has 60M, you could expect to count about
23 members in the next 18 months. Quite a rough estimate based on too many
assumptions :-)

We'll be glad to share our experience with you. Just ask for any detail
you'd like to know, either here, on lugnet.org.it.itlug or via email. Sorry
nobody of us speaks Portuguese, but English or Spanish are ok.

Ciao
Mario