 Local / European Union / 155
154  |  156
Subject:
loc.eu Curator (was Re: Proposed European events calendar)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:00:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.eu, Manfred Moolhuysen writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Manfred Moolhuysen writes:
With more and more LUG's beginning to master the art of event organization,
it's becoming clear we are in need for a European events calender page. Does
anyone have a good suggestion for what is the best place and method to
implement such a calender?

My suggestion for the calendar's placement would go to .loc.eu, with a link
in all european .loc groups (purely because .eu has little movement of its own)
As for the method, what about a "fill-in form", located in .eu, where
whomever wishing to organize an event might post:
- name of the organizing party (person/LUG), and contact
- date
- location
- main focus ("trains", for instance)
- other relevant info for attendees: hotels, road access tips,...
The said post would "pop" in all european .loc pages, and would
automatically be added to the calendar; conflicting dates might then be
discussed in .eu .

This would make a curator for the local.eu posting group necessary. She or
he should also be made temporally curator of national groups that don't have
a curator yet, in order to set up the links. Currently, only Denmark, France
and the U.K. have national curators.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

Do you think the curator should be bilingual?  In what languages would it
help.  It seems to me that the Germans have their own community outside
Lugnet and the big posters to Lugnet are the Italians, the British and the
Dutch, but the Italians don't tend to post outside loc.it much.

I think the idea of making the information appear in all eu loc pages,
though good, would require serious work from Lugnet admins and then Gael and
I (loc.dk doesn't have a curator btw) would need to rewrite our pages to
accomodate it (not necessarily a problem but I'd like to be in control of
where in the sidebar it appears).

Do you think the eu countries without curators would mind this information
(presumably having to be posted in English) on their sidebar?