 Local / Danmark / 286
Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:42:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
You mean you didn't copyright your story?  Hmm, next thing the Gideons will
put it down in little leather books and start leaving it in hotel rooms.  :)

It is a tricky issue, in that you're right, I don't have any copyright over
the text of the Bible.  But then again, it would still be alarming if the
Gideons start leaving LEGO-illustrated Bibles in hotel rooms AND their
editing of Bible passages into distinct "stories" exactly matched my own AND
it was obvious that their LEGO illustrations were each based on ones I had done.

It could be totally coincidental, given that you're both just following
the standard story, but the framing of some of the shots is very similar.

What I realised while scripting out the Jesus Is Born story about a year ago
is that there really is no "standard story".  I mean, just about everyone
has at least a vague idea that Jesus was born in a manger with animals and
that some shepherds and 3 wise men showed up, and maybe an angel too.  This
idea has been popularized by Nativity scenes.  But this seemingly cohensive
story is really quite a blending of the two wholly separate (and not
particularly compatible) birth stories in Matthew and Luke, combined with
some non-biblical tradition.

As with all my Brick Testament stories, I made decisions about which aspects
of the story to leave in, which to leave out, and as in all of the stories
which draw material from multiple gospels, I had to decide in just what
order the material should be presented.

This is most notable where I combine passages from different gopels to form
the basis for a single illustration, such as the very start of the Jesus is
Born story:

http://bricktestament.com/the_gospels/jesus_is_born/mt01_18_lk01_26.html

Finally, there's also the decision of which passages warrant separate
illustrations, and which can be combined.

It seems like an extraordinarily remote possibility to me that someone else
would have made every choice exactly the same as I did, and so it seems
clear to me that the creator of this Danish version based his presentation
of the story on my presentation.

But more immediately obvious, if you go through both stories side-by-side,
is that his images are based directly on mine.

-Rev. Smith