 Local / Canada / Ontario / 483
482  |  484
Subject:
Featured Builder - John Bradey and grandchildren
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:07:22 GMT

It is my honour to showcase (*with his permission) the creations of one of our Whackolug members, Mr. John Bradey.

I had the pleasure of first meeting John at our inaugural meet, and in all honesty, the first thing that struck me was that he was a fair bit over the typical AFOL age group. That thought quickly was overshadowed after only a few minutes of talking to him, when I quickly realized John brought much knowledge, building skill and LEGO interest to the (building) table.

When he pulled out his MOC for “show and tell” I was beside myself. Where had this gentleman (who had been building since 2002) with obvious building talent and an apparently well stocked collection, be hiding all these years???

Well turns out, John was not exactly hiding, we had just not crossed paths yet. Apparently, years ago he had attended rtlTorontos first train show, and HamLug as well.... but now he was here, showing us this lovely cottage, with beautiful stonework, and I was mesmerized.

I wanted to see more and asked John where I could find pictures of his creations online.

To make a long story short, Johns work was not online, (at least not until now), and I wanted to rectify that. John does not post here, but he is a faithful reader, as well, an avid brickshelf follower.

John was kind enough to invite me, Chris Magno, and Jenn Wagner over for an afternoon tour of his layout.

I was able to photography his layout which has been lovingly put together with his expertise and the involvement his four grandchildren. (Who are growing up sharing an amazing pastime and experience with Grandpa, in my humble opinion.)

The layout itself is a beautiful mix of both adult and child built creations plus an large collection of builds from various other sources such as sets (both Lego and fan created ones), Johns MOCs, his grandkids MOCs, and faithful reproductions of other AFOLs MOCs (that he has admired over the years) all working together to form one overall layout.

John was humble yet informative and a very gracious host and we, his guests, were in awe. I loved the pride I heard in his voice when he pointed out details his grandchildren have worked on, and when I say detail, I mean serious detail! There was action on every inch of that layout, I am sure that I could have taken another hundred photos and still missed things.

We also got to peek at his building area, and his LEGO stash... and once again I was blown away .... and I may add, pretty envious of the ample bags of dark red plates and boxes upon boxes of track I saw.

A deep heart felt thank you to John, for allowing us to come visit such an outstanding display and for allowing me the pleasure of sharing your talent and your love for the brick with Lugnet.

Please note, the pictures do not do the layout justice, but to enjoy his layout, check out my “John Bradey” flickr folder here http://www.flickr.com/photos/janeyredbrick/sets/72157622780822108/

Most sincerely,

Janey Red Brick