 Local / Canada / 381
Re: Hello - I'm new
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 08:50:21 GMT

Dean, what do you mean you and Kevin don't have to pay shipping?  I don't
understand!?!

Adam

In lugnet.loc.ca, Dean Husby writes:
Jeff Jardine wrote:

I have been watching this discussion group for over a week, and there has • been
very little traffic.  I have some questions, so I hope someone will let me
know if I am off-topic or am violating any netiquette.

1. Are there any decent Canadian sites where I can order Lego online?  I
haven't found any.  I prefer Canadian sites because I was  once burned for • an
exorbitant duty charge on some CDs from the US.  Is it possible to save any • $
by ordering online (US or CDN sites), or is it just as easy to look for • retail
deals?

2. Speaking of retail, where are the best places to go?  I line in New
Brunswick, and I've found the best regular prices at Zellers.  The local • Toys
R Us has a slightly better selection.  When one store has a 20% off sale, • the
other usually follows suit.

3. What are everyone's experiences with Shop @ Home?  I understand it's done
through the US now - how do prices (including exchange rate, shipping, duty)
compare to buying from retail?  Do they honour the Shop @ Home specials when
ordering from Canada?

4. Any estimates of the price in CDN$ of the upcoming Star Wars UCS sets?

I'm trying to find ways to collect lots of pieces I need to make some • specific
models, and I'm very new at this.  I'd like to build a big Tantive IV (the
rebel blockade runner - the first ship you see in Star Wars), but I'm • hesitant
to buy whole sets and pay for minifigs I don't want.  Maybe when I get • around
to selling a kidney to pay for the UCS sets my problem will be solved.
I'm also new to EBay - I've been watching some auctions offered in Canada, • and
bidding on a few.  Any comments/experiences relating to online auctions? • The
thought of paying an extra $5 to ship $5 worth of bricks seems wasteful to • me.

Oh yes - about me:  I've been collecting SW Lego since Christmas, when my • very
thoughtful girlfriend got me the TIE fighter vs. Y-Wing set.  I now have all
the Classic Star Wars sets except the Skiff.  This is my first Lego since • good
'ol LL928, back in the early 80's, when I was much smaller.

Jeff J

Welcome!

Buy local whenever you can. It's cheaper. The next best place is Shop @ Home • (S@H).
They take care of Duty and GST and all that so you don't get nailed the • handling
fee. I buy allot of Lego from S@H because they don't sell it in stores, but
wherever possible I buy locally and at sale prices. But then I buy ALOT of • Lego.
heh heh

The other place is EBAY. But you must be very careful with shipping charges.
Personally I find I can't get much because after exchange and shipping it's • just
too costly. Fortunately I live real close to Kevin. So I can afford to go that
little higher since I don't have to pay shipping. GRIN. But that doesn't help • you.

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html