 Local / Canada / 379
Re: Hello - I'm new
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 15:48:13 GMT

Hi Jeff, and welcome! You don't see many posts to loc.ca because most
people post the their more focused local group, if they post at all. The
Vancover and Victoria groups are pretty active.

1. Are there any decent Canadian sites where I can order Lego online?  I
haven't found any.  I prefer Canadian sites because I was  once burned for an
exorbitant duty charge on some CDs from the US.  Is it possible to save any $
by ordering online (US or CDN sites), or is it just as easy to look for retail
deals?

I haven't found any online CN sites, but that doesn't mean there aren't
any. Maybe someone else knows of one. You won't get burned with duty
when ordering Lego from teh US since there is no duty on construction
toys, but you may get hit with GST and Canada Post's handling charge.
Personally I find when you add in shipping etc it's just as cheap to buy
in local sales.

2. Speaking of retail, where are the best places to go?  I line in New
Brunswick, and I've found the best regular prices at Zellers.  The local Toys
R Us has a slightly better selection.  When one store has a 20% off sale, the
other usually follows suit.

Here(Vancouver), the best regular prices are at Canadian Superstore and
then WalMart. CS ocasionally has sales which are an even better deal.
Zellers and the Bay have reglar sales which are worth checking out.
Sears is mostly (but not always) more expensive, but when they have a
sale it's for a bigger percentage.

3. What are everyone's experiences with Shop @ Home?  I understand it's done
through the US now - how do prices (including exchange rate, shipping, duty)
compare to buying from retail?  Do they honour the Shop @ Home specials when
ordering from Canada?

Prices are higher than retail because the shipping is built in. No duty.
They do charge the GST and a small ($2 US I think) handling charge. As
far as I know the specials also work.

I'm trying to find ways to collect lots of pieces I need to make some specific
models, and I'm very new at this.  I'd like to build a big Tantive IV (the
rebel blockade runner - the first ship you see in Star Wars), but I'm hesitant
to buy whole sets and pay for minifigs I don't want.  Maybe when I get around
to selling a kidney to pay for the UCS sets my problem will be solved.
I'm also new to EBay - I've been watching some auctions offered in Canada, and
bidding on a few.  Any comments/experiences relating to online auctions?  The
thought of paying an extra $5 to ship $5 worth of bricks seems wasteful to me.

Depending on what kind of pieces you want, brick tubs and buckets can be
good and have a good price per piece ratio.

I do a lot of parts auctions on eBay and find it MORE expensive to ship
within Canada for small parcels than it is to the US or Europe! Crazy
but true. So don't expect shipping to be much cheaper on CN auctions.

Kevin
--
Personal Lego Web page:
eBay auctions:http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/kevinw1/