 Local / Canada / 32
31  |  33
Subject:
Ok, I take it back...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 06:01:12 GMT

   <follow-up set to market.shopping>
Ok, I take back everything I've said about the availability of SW sets, and
apologize to all those whose warnings of scalpers I've scoffed at...

It seems (due to a TRU employee, who will remain nameless, and therefore
blameless) that there isn't going to be much Star Wars hitting the shelves at
all in March.

TRU Canada uses a central warehouse that then ships out to all Canadian
locations (neat - I didn't know that before), and my friendly informant let me
know a couple of relevant numbers - unfortunately, it was very near closing by
the time I got out there, so I was only able to get a 'partial' information
grab before involuntary extraction. ;)

7110 Landspeeder - 3000 units ordered for Canada
7130 Snowspeeder - 1800 units ordered for Canada

The landspeeder is going to get about 1% distribution to each store(1), and I
would assume the snowspeeder is about the same. - possibly more in larger
centers like Vancouver and Toronto

Now is it just me, or are those numbers WAY short of the kind of volume these
things should be selling at?  I mean, come on,TRU!  Do you really think that
only 1 in 10,000 people is going to want a Landspeeder?

I'm planning on picking up around 15 or so of these just for the blond and grey
hairpieces - I should not be qualifying as .5% of the national market!
You would think that something that intersects two wide-appeal markets (Lego
and SW) would see a greater turn-out, especially for the <$10.00 set!  Aren't
those the ones that generally sell better?

Even the other Lego themes have a higher volume - the <$10.00 Western sets are
easily 50 to a store here - even after 2 months at 50% off. (2)

Any, this seems to be devolving into a rant, so I'll stop here.

I'll also try to get some more numbers tomorrow.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

1: based on the store where my anonymous benefactor worked (32 units)
2: of course, that might be just a comment of the popularity of western ;)