 Marketplace / Shopping / 117
Re: S@H has greater share of sets? (was Re: Ok, I take it back...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 19:29:35 GMT

  What a shock!  S@H in the US indicated that on normal items they • receive a
very small percentage of the actual sets produced, however on Star Wars • sets
they did increase their initial "orders" and since have increased them • even
more.

Who said that? Answer offline if you want (I know who a few of the folks
there are)... This is very very interesting. Is it possible that we're
more significant to S@H than we realised? After all, it was us that did
a lot of the very very early ordering before the GP even knew the set
numbers or when they'd be available.

   It was the lady I normally speak with; she seems pretty knowledgable
compared to most of the ladies at S@H.  They increased the orders very early
on due to the demand.  I have not seen them up close yet and can't say much
about the set quality, but I think the popularity is due to Star Wars - I
mean I think they could totally Juniorize these and still sell just as many.

And if our actions causes TRU to stub their toe quantitywise and
consumers to be more annoyed than ever with them, I for one am not going
to be too upset. I suspect it's going to be a long time before we see
these sets on clearance, which is going to suck from a parts perspective
but if TLG makes lots of money, maybe, just maybe, they'll realise that
at least partly it's due to the set quality, it's not 100% Star Wars
cachet.

   When I was a kid I loved TRU.  But now that I am a grown Star Wars fan, I
despise it.  I think they will stub their toes again, and it won't upset me
at all.  No Star Wars fans shop at TRU anymore - its a waste of time.  I
doubt if this stubbing will amount to much in the long view, though.

   Have you seen the any Lego TV ads for the Star Wars sets?  I thought I
saw one, but who knows.  I do not normally watch the shows that have these
types of ads, but I just saw an ad for the Star Wars Episode 1 figures on
the TV, and thought these were old news... they were hot in November, and
are now, finally, available at TRU.  I guess if you get off the net, and
watch TV, you would not have anything to complain about, because you would
not even know these were (somewhat) available!  They will probably be
heavily advertised at the same time that they are readily available in
stores (perhaps May, June?)  Which kind of makes sense - what good would it
do to advertise something that people can not buy?!

Happy bidding, er umm building,
  John