 Local / Canada / 2558
Re: Canada's Largest LEGO Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2012 23:41:57 GMT

One of the Canadian posters over on Eurobricks (where I posted this as well)...
questioned me about a 7100 Educational set in Canada in the late 1970s.  In the
1960s and 1970s TLG often reused the set numbers... sometimes 3 times.

And from circa 1977-83 Samsonite of Canada produced an Educational set 7100 that
was a Samsonite suitcase with 1440 parts.  There was also a 7110 box that was
the refill for the 7100 set.

Here's an image (from Chapter 13 of my DVD/download)....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/8241907997/sizes/m/in/photostream/

Also, back in the 1960s, when Samsonite was selling in the USA as well, there
was an item called the "Loveland Carrying Case".  The name came from Loveland
Colorado, which was the location of the Samsonite USA LEGO plant (1965-73).
This carrying case was sold separately, and also filled with LEGO (under several
different numbers, and in red as well as blue).  There were even 1967-70 USA
Kraft Velveeta Cheese promotional sets that came with the suitcase...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/8243027948/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Cheers,
Gary Istok