 Local / Canada / 2354
Re: WHaCKaLuG - Sunday the 16th.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:20:29 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Janey C. L. Gunning wrote:
Hope to see many of you out to this months WHaCKaLuG dinner meeting.

Quasi Minutes....

In Attendance: (10) Jenn Wagner, Janey Red Brick, Chris Magno, Jeff Van Winden,
Jef Theysmeyer, David Koudys, Iain Hendry, Phil, Carol, and Jason Allemann

Wow, I for one had a great night last night, thrilled to see old friends, and
happy to make new ones.
I must add... "Whoooo hooo, yay us!" 3 meeting in and we broke into the double
digits!!!

News: Meet and greet, we chatted and introduced ourselves to those that did not
know each other, struggling to hear each other over the huge and growing party
next to us, we eventually we moved tables so we could hear each other a bit more
easily. We gossiped and giggles, and shared lots of general chit chat and
merriment.

"Officially" we discussed the larger "exclusive and/or hard to find" Lego sets
at The Toy Building Zone, as well as Lego events in November, and Lego's
LugBrick program, and how we would approach that. We also discussed how dinners
are now at 6 pm, instead of 7, although anyone is welcome to just show up
whenever they can make it.

"Unofficially", I am proud to say, regardless of Chris' outstanding effort there
was not a successful coup to overthrow WHaCKaLuG by rtlToronto, nor did he even
convince the masses to change our name to "GLUG" although he did penetrate my
brain with that word, which seemed to just spit out at weird uncontrolled
intervals.
Funny enough we did approve a bit of a name change for WHaCKaLuG which will (in
Jeff's honour) be now known as WHaCKOLuG, adding the O for Orangeville. Please
note, there will never be a "T" in WHaCKOLuG to represent Toronto, so sorry to
Chris, but TWHaCKOLuG is OUT!  Can anyone remind me what the A and U are
supposed to be now?  It would simplify my life to go all CAPS, giggle.

Show and Tell: Janey brought in numerous small Lego items to pass around for
those that have not seen them such as the new IJ narrow gauge track, package of
L-scale flex track, gold minifig and gold brick key-chain, the hexagon combine
piece (as apposed to a "hayer", or the better know baler) and the new"ish" brick
built ferry boat set. As well, she showed off her latest Lego conquest, the Lego
Zippo.

Moc and Tell: Many (but not all) MOCs of this evening that were shown were
primarily from the 62 brick challenge (see previous posts for explanation). I
hope to be able to provide pictures of this challenge, once I steal them from
Jef. Jenn brought in a perfectly scaled 2 by 4 brick in blue, Janey brought in a
not so perfectly scaled 2 by 2 brick in red, Micro train set, Micro Red Rocket,
and a "sign" that said "WHACKALUG" (which later was turned into WHACKOLUG), Iain
brought in a tiny working rcx'd robot arm.
Special note, Jef was clearly sabotaged by Jenn and will show us his design next
meeting, Chris "forgot" his at home, I'm sure we will never see that one.

As well, Carol brought along few of her charming vignettes featuring minifigs,
and Iain brought a slick mechanical solution gaget that Chris could not stop
fondling, Jeff brought along an awesome WIP of a lighthouse. Chris brought along
his never ending campaign to GLUG us, Dave like usual, brought along his charm,
and well Jason, brought along his MOCkingly cruel critiques of all things Janey
built, but did make it up to me later that night by gracing me with his presence
way into the night (whoah eh?) and ridding me of the last Lime Ricky.

Thanks to all that came out, awesome jobs on the builds!

Oh yes, and then Jeff presented us with a new challenge.... The Soccer Net
Challenge.... Basically, you need to come up with something interesting to do
with the following piece... http://www.bricklink.com/PL/48298.jpg?0
... and he was generous enough to share 4 of them with each and any member that
was interested.

Please note, I am not an official "secretary", please expect mistakes,
unintentional omissions and plenty of my own commentary, but please, if there
are glaring errors let me know, so I can correct them on
http://whackolug.blogspot.com/.

Thanks,
Janey Red Brick.