 Local / Canada / 1995
Re: S@H Exchange Rate?!?! (was Re: BNSF high balls it!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:43:53 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Tim Strutt wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Kevin Wilson wrote:
Tim Strutt wrote in message ...
In lugnet.trains, Tim Tosino wrote:
LEGO is REALLY sticking it to Canadians on this set and this year. It's
$59.99 CAD. That's 1.5 Exchange! Last time I checked it was 1.2052. Why is
LEGO milking Canadians this year when the Canadian Dollar has gone up???

Whoa. I see what you mean. I just checked and at current exchange rate, we
could be buying it in the US for $48.24Cdn, instead of the $60Cdn on S@H.

Hey Jake, do you have any idea why S@H fixed the price so high for Canada?

Simple. Canadians complained about having prices in US$. Lego changed to
pricing for Canadians in CN$. When they decided to switch, the exchange rate
was about 1.5 (earlier, it was even 1.6!). The rate has been falling ever
since, now about 1.2.

I'm going to have to disagree with your logic here.
Main Street came out last year at an exchange rate of 1.31 (85Cdn vs 65US)
and the Canadian dollar is doing MUCH better than last year.
Why suddenly 1.50 versus 1.31, or the current ACTUAL rate of 1.20?
If anything it should have been lower, not higher.
Just my $0.02 worth, or $0.017Cdn, I mean $0.013Cdn at S@H rates.   ;-)
Play well.

Tim Strutt

I think I have to back Kevin on this one.  Major international corporations
charge a fixed exchange rate.  This is an acceptable Accounting Practise.

However, I would look back at year end (or whenever the audit would take place)
and question whether the rate of exchange is too high.

Bottom-line is this: the fixed exchange rate is there to minimize the loss
on currency exchange between one market and another, not to be a material
source of revenue.

Ben Medinets