 Local / Canada / 1768
Re: New SW sets yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:53:26 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Allan Bedford wrote:
In lugnet.loc.ca, Michael Shiels wrote:
IT'S NUTS, but that's LEGO Canada.  I know dealers in USA getting stock closer
to 10-15 December, and UNLIMITED AMOUNT, basically forces anyone up here who
wants it to try Amazon.Com, or contacts in USA.  NOT NICE! But they run the
show.

Are these dates the decisions of the North American aspects of the company?  Or
are these dates reflective of the mothership's inability to grasp the concept
(like it or not) of the Xmas shopping season?  I somehow feel that if LEGO
Canada could fill stores with product in October and November that they would.
Just a personal opinion based on almost a decade spent in front line retail
sales.  Product arriving a week or two before Xmas is product arriving too late.
Customers *may* buy some of it, but many people get worried as Dec 24 approaches
and *may* also buy something else... something that is in stores.

But then I know nothing about the internal workings of the LEGO company, so this
strategy may be exactly as they intend it to be.  Perhaps they have very good
reasons for not having much product in stores near Xmas?

It's hard to imagine (from the outside) what those reasons might be.

Is it a valid observation that the Canadian holiday season starts more gradually
and somewhat earlier that the US one? That's my thinking but I'm not sure. It
seemed that way in the UK too, there was a lot of holiday stuff out in mid
November already.

The US season starts with a bang and if you're not ready to go as of Black
Friday (that's today) you may not be in the race. US LEGO seems to know that.