 Local / Canada / 1502
Re: S@H duties??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:19:58 GMT

"Jeff Jardine" <jwjardin@diespam.mccain.ca> wrote in
news:H20yn9.1xD@lugnet.com:

In light of the recent announcement in .technic (reissue of 8460!),
I'm planning on placing my first S@H order in a long while.

Here's some of the small print on the S&H page:

"In placing your order, you authorize LEGO Shop at Home to appoint a
Canadian customs broker to act on your behalf to obtain customs
clearance of your merchandise and remit applicable duties and taxes
to Revenue Canada. Amounts received by LEGO Direct for duties and
taxes are accepted on your behalf, for the broker."

I expect to pay taxes, but not duty.  What happened to free trade?
Has anyone recently placed an order and had to pay duty?

Jeff J

I haven't had to buy any Lego from the US yet, but I often buy items for
my other hobbies. If you get charged ANY amount of duty, you can also
expect a $5 handling charge tacked on. I find it extremely annoying to
be dinged $1.50 duty, but it costs me $6.50 to pay it.

I don't understand the purpose of duty anyway, I already pay exchange
and then taxes on top of it. Who is the duty for? I tried to find out
once, but came up empty.

PS, my first ever post to Lugnet. Hi all.

--
Rick S.
Calgary, Alberta