 Local / Canada / 1062
1061  |  1063
Subject:
First Twins Get invited to Canada for Some legal drinking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 18:43:09 GMT

FUT: lugnet.off-topic.fun

Radio Station to Bush Twins: Come Drink in Canada

EDMONTON, Alberta (Reuters) - A Canadian radio station has invited U.S.
President George W.
Bush's twin daughters, fresh from run-ins with the Texas law over
underage drinking, to head
north for a weekend of legal boozing.

Rock station 100.3 FM The Bear in Edmonton, Alberta, has even offered to
foot the bar tab and
plane tickets for 19-year-old college students Jenna and Barbara Bush.
The legal drinking age
in the western province of Alberta is 18. In Texas it is 21.

"We're not fueling up Air Force One, but I'll cover the tickets. Secret
Service can pay their
own way," disc jockey Matt Mauler said on Monday.

"We have a pub-crawl route all mapped out. We have a presidential suite
at an unnamed hotel,
which is ready to go. The mini bars will be unlocked," said Mauler, who
extended the station's
invitation along with afternoon drive-time show co-host Jake Daniels.

The Bush twins have both been charged in connection with underage
drinking in recent months.

In the latest case, which happened May 31 at a Mexican restaurant in
Austin, Texas, Jenna Bush
was charged with using someone else's identification to try to buy a
drink. Barbara, a student
at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, was charged with underage
drinking.

Jenna pleaded not guilty and her case is set for a hearing on July 31,
while Barbara pleaded no
contest and was given a form of probation, required to take an alcohol
awareness class and
perform eight hours of community service.

That was the same punishment that Jenna, a student at the University of
Texas in Austin, got
when she pleaded no contest to the same charge just two weeks earlier.

In April, she was ticketed after undercover police officers caught her
drinking beer at a bar
in Austin's Sixth Street entertainment district.

The Edmonton radio station has informed the White House of its
invitation to the "first twins,"
but has yet to garner a response, Mauler said. It has also told Austin
media outlets of the
move.

"This is, of course, a bit of a project, but we're going to keep the
invitation open for the
next 531 days until they turn 21. I mean, basically, what they're going
through is just
prohibition for college students," he said.

| Timothy Culberson      |
| NB, CA                 |
| http://echofx.itgo.com |
| t_c_c@yahoo.com        |