 Local / Australia / 9898
Re: Regular Shipping to Australia -- worked like a charm!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 03:29:57 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
Fellow LUGnet Ozzies (Oy! Oy! Oy!),

Just to let you know the BUGS placed our S@H order on Sunday 29 Sept using the
new Regular Shipping option. It was a large order and the Regular Shipping cost
was $40 (the maximum). If we had used Express Shipping it would have cost us
$90 (also the maximum).

Based on our past experiences of Express Shipping, the order would normally
have arrived at Mon 7 Oct (i.e. 8 days later). This time with Regular Shipping,
the order arrived on Mon 14 Oct (i.e. 15 days later). So, it took about twice
the time for about half the cost.

Someone I spoke to locally, received their order in 12 days, so I guess the
only variable is the day of the week on which one places their order and how
it co-incides with the weekly shipping date.

Unlike Express Shipping which comes UPS (and locally in Brisbane via their
agent DX), the Regular Shipping appeared to be delivered by an Australia Post
parcel contractor. The box was stamped with "Parcel Post" and appeared to have
been sent by "Wilson Logistics" in Matraville, NSW. It is not required to sign
for the order when Regular Shipping is used, which is convenient as it means I
don't have to be home. Of course, it means that a large order of Lego sits at
my front door all day which means there is a risk of it being stolen (although
this has never happened to me in the past with Post Office parcel deliveries,
but might be more of an issue if you live in a higher crime area).

Employees of Australia Post seem to do the right thing and leave a card in the
letterbox for when no-one answers the door, so the parcel can be picked up at
the post office later. Contractors tend to ring the doorbell, dump the parcel
and drive off at great speed (though there are exceptions), as they attempt to
scratch out a living from their x cents per parcel delivered.

Anyhow, I know some of you were interested in how Regular Shipping worked out,
so that's the story of our first use. Everything seemed to work OK, and
personally I think 2 weeks to Australia instead of 1 is quite acceptable in
return for half the shipping cost.

Anyone who has had to wait for seafreight from North America, will find this
option more than acceptable.