 Local / Australia / 9885
Re: HMLS Snottler Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:44:40 GMT

The ultimate voyage was yesterday, after which it was taken to the
scrapyard. The demolition crew wasted no time in reducing it to its
component parts... and the piece counting has begun.

Must have been one of those weekends, as I destroyed the Church of Steeple
Cheney (the large grey church) that weekend too. Knowing the completely AR
nature of this group, herewith are some statistics:

Number of bricks: 5661
Volume of bricks: 27020

Of the 5661 bricks, 3397 (60.1%) were light grey and had a volume of 16733
(61.9%), while 1740 (30.7%) were black and had a volume of 7673 (28.4%). The
remainder 524 (9.2%) bricks were assorted colours.

The most extensively used brick shape was the good old 2x4 brick, which
comprised 28.5% of the bricks and 36.3% of the volume. Most of these bricks
were light grey and were used in the lower (and thicker) parts of the walls,
buttresses and towers.

The 2nd most common brick shape was the 2x2 45-degree slope which comprised
about 8.4% of the total bricks, and were mostly in black and used to build the
roof.

The 3rd most common brick shape was the 2x2 brick (7.3%). Like the 2x4 brick,
these were mostly light grey and used in the lower walls, buttresses and
towers.

The 4th most common brick shape was the 2x2 45-degree inverse slope (7.2%).
Like the regular slope, these were mostly black and were used to build the
ceiling (i.e. the underside of the roof).

After that comes the 1x2 brick and the 2x3 brick, again mostly in light grey.

For those of you who remember the church, you may be wondering (as I was) how
come 10% of a grey and black church were actually other colours. The answer is
the enormous number of 1x1 round plates in various transparent colours used to
do the stained glass windows. Also, there were many red arch windows, and of
course all those flowers, trees etc added up as well.

Some of you may be wondering about this concept of "volume". Since the size of
Lego pieces can vary enormously, there is of course a difference between using
a single 1x16 brick as opposed to say 16 1x1 bricks. So I associate a volume
with each shape in my spreadsheet. For example, a 1x1 brick has volume 1, while
a 2x4 brick has volume 8. A 1x1 plate is 1/3 etc. Now I readily admit that the
volume of the non-rectangular bricks was somewhat casually estimated, and there
are some anomalies like the windows get credited with all the volume they
enclose and the window inserts with none, but despite this, I figure it's a
useful metric as piece count can tend to be dominated by the frequent use of
small parts that are nonetheless of limited significance in the overall
structure of the model. Does anyone know if there are any detailed tables of
volumes for Lego pieces, especially the non-rectangular ones?

Kerry