 Local / Australia / 9696
9695  |  9697
Subject:
Imperial Star Destroyer, or Kerry does Richie impersonations :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:53:42 GMT

Check out the 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer at S@H!

Now the 1748 Rebel Blockade Runner did not move me, too chunky for my taste,
but the 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer is a seriously awesome-looking ship. I
know what I want to find in my Christmas stocking!

3104 parts for the special introductory pre-order price of (take heart
medication now!) $495.95! But as Richie will tell us, that's 16.1c per part for
the Ultimate Grey Parts Pack.

Richie will also point out that it compares favourably with some other
spacecraft as follows (using S@H prices):

Rebel Blockade Runner: 1748 pieces for $320, or 18.3c per piece
Special Edition Naboo Star Fighter: 187 pieces for $74.95, or a staggering
40.1c per piece
[At that price, I'd expect gold-plated parts not just chrome ones!]

Richie will go on to note that space flight appears to be more expensive than
air flight (but then Mr Lucas has to get his license fees):

Sopwith Camel: 577 for $86.99, or 15.1c per piece
Red Baron: 670 for $86.99, or 13c per piece
or available even cheaper together as ...
Famous Planes Kit: 1247 for $155, or 12.4c per piece

Then Richie will point out that, given the number of speciality parts in the
aircraft, they compare favourably with the sculptures which predominantly
consist of 2xN bricks:

Darth Maul Bust: 1860 pieces for $239, or 12.8c per piece
Yoda: 1075 for $159.95, or 14.9c per piece
Giant Lego Minifigure: 1800 for $239, or 13.3c per piece
Giant Dragon: 1535 for $159.99, or 10.4c per piece
Statue of Liberty: 3450 for $320, or 9.3c per piece
They are almost giving the lady away at that price! :-)

Richie will justify Yoda's higher price per piece by noting the superb
selection of rarer colours (tan, sand green, brown, orange-brown), while
observing that the rarer-colour theory obviously does not apply to the Statute
of Liberty, which seriously tests the enthusiasm of any AFOL for that much sand
green, especially in corner pieces. However, Richie probably feels that we
shouldn't bother with the Giant Lego Minifig as it's rather hard to justify the
price-per-piece, given it's composed of very common bricks in very common
colours (red, blue, yellow, green!), especially when you consider that most of
the parts can be found in:

3033 Blue Tub: 1200 pieces for $50 (regular KMart price), or 4.2c per piece

Taking all of that into account, Richie will recommend that I buy the Imperial
Star Destroyer and not be tempted by the new Harry Potter Sets, for which Ms
Rowling obviously gets an even bigger license fee than Mr Lucas:

Quiddich Practice: 128 for $24.95, or 19.5 cents per piece
Aragog in the Dark Forest: 178 for $39.95, or 22.4 cents per piece
Escape from Privet Drive: 278 for $61.25, or 22.0c per piece
Dumbledore's Office: 446 for $99.95, or 22.4 cents per piece
Chamber of Secrets: 591 for $139.95, or 23.7 cents per piece
Dobby's Release: 70 for $13.95, or 19.9 cents per piece
Slytherin: 90 for $20.99, or 23.3 cents per piece
The Dueling Club: 129 for $39.95, or 31 cents per piece
[At that price per piece, it's no wonder Harry Potter can't stand upright in
it!]

Finally, Richie will conclude by pointing out, that as desirable as the
Imperial Star Destroyer might be, at $495.95, you could instead buy 10 Blue
Tubs and get 12 thousand bricks.

--
Kerry Raymond