 Local / Australia / 8789
8788  |  8790
Subject:
An eye on the clones (MB)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 07:38:21 GMT

I see that MB have brought out a new line and a line extension.

There are some more block bots (large humanoid-y mechy things with a dude
inside) along the lines of the Gladiator, Ninja and Knight.  These are
smaller (I saw two: Torch and Spy) and cheaper ($40?).  Saw them in Target
Warilla.  Both are on the MB website (but you can't deep link to them -
http://www.megabloks.com/index.html)  Not real fond of these.

The 4 new sets are bonafide mechwarrior style mechs - nothing pretend
humanoid about these dudes.  These I like.  Two small ones: a pilot (is that
the right nomenclature) and a mech weilding an attractive gatling gun style
weapon, $20 each.  Two big ones: a pilot, two big league weapons including a
firing triple missile launcher, and three little drone type dudes to go
running about in and around the big mech's legs, $40ea.  These sets look
very impressive - particularly the camo appearance.  I was musing to myself
that this camo look must be expensive in terms of stickers - but no!  They
supply you a paint pen (one in the smaller sets, two in the larger) and you
paint your favourite camo style onto and across the blocks.  Interesting
idea.  Would seem to limit the flexibility to reuse the blocks (like a Lego
stamp does) but still - very interesting idea.  None of these new sets
appear to be on the website.

One thing can be said for the MB guys, nothing wrong with their marketing
people - for the cost of the paint pens, they can make the models look much
more appealing on the packaging and add an arty crafty value for development
sensitive mums...

Given how Lego picked up on MB extreme, maybe we'll soon see Lego paint
being supplied with Lego sets.  Horror of horrors!  ;-)

Richard
Still baldly going...
http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/yar/welcome.htm