 Local / Australia / 8399
Re: LEGO in Australia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:44:18 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Anthony Zavaglia writes:
I'm been extremely busy lately and haven't had much time for shopping, but
only recently I went shopping for LEGO and I'm wondering what's happening.

There is heaps and heaps of Jack Stone and nothing else. Lego shelf space in
stores is getting smaller and smaller and nothing worth buying anymore (I
feel disappointed). Am I the only one who feels this way?

One thing to note is that many shops will not restock toys in any amount
after Christmas until the annual industry toyfair which is sometime in
March.  Also, we're still in the middle of summer clearance sales.
Obviously no-one wanted Jack Stone at Christmas or on clearance! (To be
fair, I haven't really seen it offered on clearance though.)

That said, I think you're right when you say that Lego shelf space has
shrunk, I've noticed this in Hobart over the past year.  We don't have many
places to buy Lego anyway (Myer, Kmart, Target, Harris Scarfe, Toyworld and
Bridges Bros/Toykingdom).

The only one left with significant Lego shelf space is Myer.  Kmart normally
has a moderate range, but has been that way for a while.  Harris Scarfe
doesn't have much of anything anymore, not just Lego!  Target is losing Lego
shelf space to Megabloks and other random assortments of toys, Toyworld has
given half their Lego aisle to Meccano, Knex and Megabloks, and Toykingdom
was never a serious player anyway.

Here's hoping things pick up.  While there are plenty of good online options
now (Ozbricks, Kmart Online, SAH), it's not quite the same as grabbing the
latest set off the shelf.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com