 Local / Australia / 8020
Re: Checking in with the Sydney crowd
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 00:00:20 GMT

In lugnet.people, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Hey all (and sorry if this is OT):

  I just wanted to hear how everyone in greater Sydney is doing,
  because the news here makes it sound like you're all going up
  in flames.  I, however, would much rather hear from you folks
  on the ground, not only for my own curiosity but to know that
  everyone is OK and hasn't been burnt out of house, home, and LEGO.
  An update would be appreciated!

Hi Lindsay,

I'm OK, though the fires claimed a house not too far away.
The houses in danger are ones that back onto bushland, which only affects
houses on the edge of estates or suburbs or on ridgelines within Sydney.
In the hillier suburbs more houses fit into the above categories.

Out of Sydney, smaller settlements are in danger where native trees
remain on or near properties, this is where all the house losses have happened.

Fires were burning North of Port Block, maybe Richard can give us a report.

3 cheers for the Firies, most of them volunteers spending the holiday period
working 12-hour shifts in the heat and smoke.

Most of the fires appear to have been deliberately lit.....Arsonists !

pete.w