 Local / Australia / 7679
Re: layby cancelations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 02:28:44 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Michael Dickinson writes:
It is often cheaper to pick up a layby than to cancel it as most places have
a cancelation fee.

Not for most places.  The cancellation fee is usually the service fee that
you pay at the time you place the item(s) on layby.  You pay it either way,
there's no difference b/t picking up the layby and cancelling it.  If you
pick up the item and then return it you have the extra hassle of the return,
for no gain (and that's assuming that you can return it).  It would make
sense to pick up the layby rather than cancel if you lost the deposit rather
than the service fee, but I'm not aware of anywhere that keeps the deposit
these days (that's not to say they don't necessarily exist, but they'd be
rare mainly due to consumer protection laws which put limitations on what a
store can keep and under what circumstances).

Also does anybody know which toy company is selling pirate
ships cheap soon( toyworld or toy kingdom)?

Make an educated guess and then ask for private clarification from the
original source!  This might seem strange, but it's possible that we won't
get this sort of advance info in the future if the retail/distribution
sources feel compromised.  If this wasn't an issue then the chain would
probably have been openly stated in the first place.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com